Fly Tying
barrytheguide

Storing fly recipes

hmmm ... What is "not true"?

That one seriously powerful magnetic storm could wipe out all storage media?

That one powerful magnetic storm could destroy the energy production capability of the Country?

That if the grid is knocked out, all electronic media will be useless within a few months?

OR ... If any or all of the above happens ... whether you have new fly tying patterns or not will be the least of your worries?

I was mostly joking any way.

Haven't really gotten to far with this idea but my thought is to store my recipes on my Web site with a picture. Then tag it with keywords to make it easier to find later.

You have a web site? Not a facebook but a real website? If so, can we link to your site and steal your patterns? :-)

Maybe he has his own server? That could get you into trouble based on some news that has been told...LOL

hmmm ... What is "not true"?

That one seriously powerful magnetic storm could wipe out all storage media?

That one powerful magnetic storm could destroy the energy production capability of the Country?

That if the grid is knocked out, all electronic media will be useless within a few months?

OR ... If any or all of the above happens ... whether you have new fly tying patterns or not will be the least of your worries?

I was mostly joking any way.

My laptop is a MacBook pro which has a all aluminum case, Faraday shield if you like. In the event of a strong solar flare it's unlik to be damaged. A microwave oven is another good Farady Cage for equipment protection, but not to worry anyway, if it happens like it did in the 18 hundreds then we are all going to be screwed anyway!

... if it happens like it did in the 18 hundreds then we are all going to be screwed anyway!

Exactly my point, thank you.

You have a web site? Not a facebook but a real website? If so, can we link to your site and steal your patterns? :-)

Yes a real Web site, don't have a Facebook page or wall or what ever it's called.

Www.grampsramblings.com

Along the lines of avoiding losing something when hardware fails - I have been using cloud tools. I use Google Sheets (think excel...) for keeping track of pattern materials. Coming from an analyst background everything I keep track of is organized. Columns for each material item (hook, dubbing, flash, wing, etc.) and then row per pattern. I can easily then look at common materials across patterns and easily find patterns via a filter. Easier to leverage than something like a document / notepad / evernote. You have to remember what the pattern was based on the file name or try searching your computer for the contents... not my favorite method.

I've more recently also moved to Pinterest to keep track of patterns I am interested in. Yeah, I thought it was a chick site at first but have found it to be useful for things like this. As I browse the forum, other forums, YouTube, blogs, etc. I can just pin something I like and then organize them later into Sheets if I decide to tackle it. Great for keeping track of SBS.

Pluto.... you're a tyer and organized? Isn't that an oxymoron? Let's see your tying bench. The only "organized" ones we ever see are when they're brand new.

I suppose I am screwed if technology fails ... but with the ease of access to the internet, I haven't "stored" any patterns. Of course, I don't tie that many new patterns either.

I am the same. If the internet goes down I will have to invent.

As a retired Database Administrator, I have toyed, several times, with creating a pattern/materials database. Conceptually, it would be pretty easy, but in reality, a lot harder than it seems. The problem is acceptable substitutions and terminology. The terminology could be standardized easily enough, but the subs are legion! Manderan Duck vs Wood Duck vs dyed Mallard, or chenille vs yarn vs dubbing vs mohair vs some other fuzzy material, etc., etc.

I do have a number of patterns and illustrations on my computer, but I also have a few dozen sheets of paper with basic patterns and materials lists. I also have a copy of Bergman's Trout with it's lists as well, so I'm reasonably set up, if I can't get online.

Something like a database or spreadsheet would be nice. As in most information stored to my computer, it comes in several forms: text documents, JPGs, web pages, etc. And since Windows Explorer isn't a database, I can only search by filename or date saved or file type. Nothing really useful.

Pluto.... you're a tyer and organized? Isn't that an oxymoron? Let's see your tying bench. The only "organized" ones we ever see are when they're brand new.

Haha, wait I never said my bench is organized. Actually, since doing an addition to the house and having our first kiddo I have no bench. Yet. It all comes out when I get a chance to tie. Although, bought an armoire for the master suite and actually building my tying storage and bench this weekend. I'll post a photo when I get it all "organized" and then a few months later when it all goes to hell. That's why I bought an armoire to close it and not get grief from the wife or have the dog and cat or kid get into it.

By the way, newer windows os's can search contents of some documents using explorer. Most things are in xml format so indexing and searching is improved... Although still stinks. I like my google sheets and Pinterest. I can get to them anywhere and from almost any device.