Fly Tying
slinginflies

badger and fox fur

Hi

I received a patch of fox fur and badger fur for my birthday, both of them are on the hide.

I fish for trout in rivers and streams.

Just wondering if there are any tips you guys can give on how to use this material? maybe a few different applications or some specific patterns?

Thanks guys!!

It's times like these... that I wish the Fly Pattern Database - Browse by Materials..... worked! At least for me it never seems to load. All I get is a white page after I select a material.

Is it just me or are others not able to access it either? Now, I hope this doesn't come across as 'too harsh' a criticism as I have NO CLUE what is involved to create - maintain or keep something like that working so......

This (rant) is purely ignorance on my part and I'll apologize to the people that run this forum - you do a very nice job of having a place for tyer's to congregate.

The fox fur, if it's from a female - I think the Flick recipe for a hendrickson uses that fur. Not sure what the badger is used for but just 'google' it and you'll have more suggestions that you know what to do with.

BCT

It's times like these... That I wish the Fly Pattern Database - Browse by Materials..... worked! At least for me it never seems to load. All I get is a white page after I select a material.

Is it jsut me or are others not able to access it either? Now, I hope this doesn't come across as 'too harsh' a criticism as I have NO CLUE what is involved to create - maintain or keep something like that working so......

This (rant) is purely ignorance on my part and I'll apologize to the people that run this forum - you do a very nice job of having a place for tyer's to congregate.

The fox fur, if it's form a female - I think the Flick recipe for a hendrickson uses that fur. Not sure what the badger is used for but just 'google' it and you'll have more suggestions that you know what to do with.

BCT

I agree! that thing would be so handy!

I find when I google it i just get places that sell the fur not what it could be used for.

Im just curious if it is used for tails, wings, dubbing, collars?

Badger underfur is used for the body of the Light Cahill Catskill dry fly.

Red fox underfur is used for the bodies of the Light Hendrickson (wet and dry) and the March Brown dry.

Grey fox (with or without the underfur) makes a great hairwing and is used in the RAT series of salmon flies.

great looking flies. i would keep the very first one in a special place. i like most have that 'first fly' tucked away somewhere safe. it is a great reminder as you improve to remind you where it all started.

It's times like these... That I wish the Fly Pattern Database - Browse by Materials..... worked! At least for me it never seems to load. All I get is a white page after I select a material.

Is it jsut me or are others not able to access it either? Now, I hope this doesn't come across as 'too harsh' a criticism as I have NO CLUE what is involved to create - maintain or keep something like that working so......

unfortunately i have too agree as well.

Badger guard hair makes nice tailing material for both wet and dry flies. If the hides are tanned you have a great source of zonker material if you don't mind doing a little cutting. Look around YouTube for zonked flies and zonked strips. I know there are fly patterns and I would be surprised if there were not a couple of videos about how to make them. Really it is just a straight edge or ruler and a craft knife.

Steve

You need to examine your patches of fur closely to see what colors you have. Different parts of a skin patch often have subtly different shades.

Generally, the guard hairs can be used for wings and tails, and the under fur for dubbing. Red fox under fur is usually a medium dun (grey), suitable for a blue dun, or an Adams. The red patches on a grey fox go all the way to the skin, giving that under fur a good color for a Hendrickson. Some badger has cream colored under fur that works well on a Light Cahill, but others have more grey mixed in.

Two things:

1) don't be afraid to experiment.

2) don't be afraid to substitute.

It more important for you to learn how to handle natural materials than it is for you to tie exact patterns. For example, use the basic hare's ear pattern, but substitute fox or badger. The result will catch fish....

Some great advice already made! It depends on what part of the animal the patches are from for what it can be best used. Belly hair is different than from the back area. No matter what you have it can be used. Of course body hair would be different than tail hair. I've found that they both can have their uses & agree with phg about experimenting & substituting. If you're inclined, both dye quite easily with acid dyes, although I like the natural colors too.

Both fox & badger work well as wing material on wet flies, nymphs, small streamers, or carp flies. I like badger as a substitute for calftail on Bonefish type flies. I use these flies for Perch, Crappies & Shad. Fox hair being very soft can be used as a sub anywhere you might use marabou such as the tail of a bugger. I also like it for Bonefish or Redfish style flies.

If the hair of either is such that it is suitable for wing material, some of the underfur will usually need to be removed to get the best result.

Sorry about the spelling error in my previous post, I think autocorrect changed it. Since it apparently won't let me write the correct spelling for a zonk* just change the d to an r.

Steve