Fly Tying
Freddo

Fly Boxes: Slits or Pokes

Hi All,

This forum is "the place" to ask questions and get many answers. It's great. So I'm starting this new thread to ask the following now that I need to buy a fly box (or many of them)...

As a kid when I tried fly fishing and never took it farther than tying a bunch, I had one small fly box with little metal clips inside of it that held the flies. To this very day I'm surprised I'd never sunk a hook deep into a finger of mine while getting a fly out of that box. I never liked it one bit and just tossed out about a month ago; those old flies are now in an Altiods tin (they're relics I'm keeping - just because).

Now - fast forward 40 years and there's SO MANY ways to carry flies. So what's the scoop? I see boxes that have simple "drop 'em in" compartments, some where the flies are poked into corrugated foam, others having foam with slits, as well as those with combinations of the configurations I just mentioned. Aside from these choices, there's waterproof (OK, I get it but how does a wet fly dry in a waterproof case without breathability?). So many brands and all sorts of costs...

So please... Are any takers to share what they've used and do still use? Pros vs. cons? What are your favorites and "why"? I've buckled up and ready to hear from you all - thanks in advance!

My vote in general is slits and I dont care about water proof. I have an Umpqua weekender, scientific angler (Big Fly, Nymph, and a high Cap Dry fly) and the big black cabelas fly boxes. None have actually proven to be totally water tight and all claim to be if memory serves.

I like them all and my favorite is the Umpqua Weekender. I like the weekender because I can carry a few flies of each type in it its what I carry on short outings close to home. It has magnet for tiny flies, slits for medium size buggers (and things like that), and tons of slits for various size dry flies and nymphs. But I do keep a full stock of flies in all three of my Scientific Anglers boxes for those days where I explore water and want a big selection. The big black Cabela's boxes are for bass flies and big streamers/baitfish patterns.

I am going get a box with foam slits on one side and compartments on the other this summer just cause I'd like one but I'm in no hurry for that because the boxes I have do the job just fine. the only thing I dont like about slit foam is crushed hackle but its easy enough to just brush it back into place with your fingers.

Regarding drying, as a habit I typically leave my boxes out to dry in a window or on my fly tying table after an outing. They will not dry or dry very slowly in closed fly boxes regardless of whether they are water proof boxes or not.

My vote in general is slits and I dont care about water proof.

Thanks! So with the slits... you pull the bend of the hook into the slit, pushing or pulling the fly backwards? I'm concerned about the barbed flies tearing up the foam like in the pokey boxes.

DIY Fly boxes for about $4/box

P1000667.jpg

P1000669.jpg

The foam is from a craft store like Hobby Lobby. Try to get 3/8" thick foam. It makes for a more durable hook holder than the more common 1/4".

I also use the sticky back colored foam to code my clear fly boxes. Color indicates the type of flies.

The straight side of the foam is cut with a rotary cutter on a cutting board.

olfa-rotary-cutter-45mm-%5B3%5D-812-p.jp

Use a pinking shears to cut a ">" pattern on one side and then cut slits at the apex of the ">". Glue strips into your box.

pinking+shears.jpg

A simpler method is just to cut slots in the foam with a razor blade and mount the flies in the slots.

Nice idea Silver! Thanks. Where are the containers/boxes from just in case I make these one day? These can be great for extras or the main use flies. I can see myself cobbling some together since I enjoy DIY too.

Bottom line ? They all hold your flies, it's what you like best. In your other thread you probably got the idea I don't have a particular preference. Well for my big dries I prefer compartments. Same for streamers. Caddis and nymphs I like the foam inserts , I guess you call them corrugated, or foam strips in the box. What I don't like is spending a ton of money on fly boxes !

As to barbs. Most of my flies are tied with the barbs pinched down.

But regarding storing flies wet and what is the best box. There are non or I have non anyway. If you dry your flies before you put them away then you don't need them.. Have a patch on your vest for putting the flies you are using, let them dry out on that or where ever, but out in open air.

As for the barbs tearing up the foam, you should smash all the barbs. It's easier on the fish, it's easier on you if you stick yourself and it teaches you to not get slack in the line.

with slit foam,,, you back the fly into the slot, and pull forward to remove. i've never had a problem with flies catching or tearing the foam.

i'm a fan of C&F design type boxes. they have tons of room, and snap in leaf inserts to create even more room, and they are bombproof. i say 'type',as there is a knockoff version for half the price. the knockoffs are sold under the 'Streamside" brand i believe.

an other source for plastic cases is Micheals (as well as a 100 other products that we can use for fly tying, lol). look for them in the scrapbook/card making section. they are sold as a mailing case for handmade cards.

As for the barbs tearing up the foam, you should smash all the barbs. It's easier on the fish, it's easier on you if you stick yourself and it teaches you to not get slack in the line.

should is a very powerful word.

I tried a box with the slits in the foam. All of my hooks, from flies I used and then replaced into the box, rusted in the foam.

I carry my flies in a Plano box. Small compartments, several flies in each. It sure is pretty to have them all laid out on the "foam box" strips like above. I know all the flies in one compartment look the same, so I don't need to see them displayed like that. It allows air to circulate around them and dry them out better, I think.

Freddo... I've always b4 kept my flies in the little compartment boxes, but after a short time, they tend to get misshapen lying in the box. I lean toward the kind silver is making.... foam with slits, but a space between foam strips because if you just have solid sheet of foam with slits, the hackles, etc., get misshapen.

Silver, I like your plan but you use little flies.... I tend to use size 10 to 6 poppers, foam spiders, size 6 streamers, etc., so I suppose I should use thicker foam... maybe 3/8 or 1/2 inch. What's your thought? Do I just take 4 sheets of 1/8 sticky back, and stick them together to make 1/2 inch? I think Walmart has large 1/8 inch sheets.

Silver, I like your plan but you use little flies.... I tend to use size 10 to 6 poppers, foam spiders, size 6 streamers, etc., so I suppose I should use thicker foam... maybe 3/8 or 1/2 inch. What's your thought? Do I just take 4 sheets of 1/8 sticky back, and stick them together to make 1/2 inch? I think Walmart has large 1/8 inch sheets.

This is what you want for a DIY box

http://dharmaofthedrift.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-flats-fly-box-for-under-five-bucks.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/236248-how-build-your-own-fly-boxes.html

DSC00147.JPG

store your flies in whatever style of box YOU want to use. its really irrelavant in the grand scheme of things

foam for everything except dry flies

Caddisflybox.jpg

Midgeflybox.jpg

Miscellaneousflybox.jpg

dewitt compartment boxes for dries

guideline-dewitt-fly-boxes.jpg

CaddisandMayflyflybox.jpg