Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
herrickkyle@gmail.com

Copper John Epoxy

If you are careful with the resin why not just put them in your fly box?

Cheers,

C.

+1 on the UV resin. I switched over to UV resin this year and it is a ton easier. You can buy UV lamps (generic) on Amazon for like $9 and they work just as well. You should also check out deer creek diamond resin to put on as a top coat for a tack free outer layer.

I don't mind the tack of the UV resin on a copper john, so I just use regular Loon think UV on that pattern.

There are lots of UV and epoxy choices. I'm familiar with 5 min, 2 ton, 30minute and rod builders flex coat epoxy as well as a couple of UV products. Bug Bond and some others are OK but the tack needs to be finished with something like Sally Hansons. The Crystal UV resin that SilverCreek (username here) sells comes in a bottle with a brush applicator. This stuff is the bomb. It cures quick and without even a hint of tackiness. A bodkin works for applying small amounts to finish heads although I'm biased towards rotary vises for this task. My desk looks like a chem lab and this UV brand is top shelf.

Depending on your situation buy a rotating wheel or make one out of a small hobby motor and some foam.

I also prefer to tie in "production line" mode when I am tying a number of the same pattern. Just for the record. I definitely see the advantage of doing them 10 at a time versus each one as it is completed.

The best motor I have found for a rotating dryer for rod building or flies came out of an old microwave. The plate turning motor.

Cheers,

C.