Fly Tying
NHMatt

Streamer head - awful

FlaFly

You have more experience of mixing wax than I. I have some wax that was sold as cobblers wax, it isn't but for building neat heads it is good, so that is what I use when I need to.

post-43582-0-87954900-1426968898_thumb.jpg

This is one I used it on.

Cheers,
C.

The fly in the top picture doesn't have much material. Tying sparse is often recommended. But since the difference in thickness in where the material ends and the bare shank near the eye is not very great you will have to crowd the eye a bit more. If you notice, the front half of that head does have the taper you are looking for. But since you began the head as far back as you did you would have to make the head much larger in diameter to regain that profile. Try starting the head closer to the eye. For that fly just one eye length back.

Like everyone else has mentioned, it isn't that bad and should fish fine.

Cut your materials at an angle when you trim, wrap forward to the eye or with tails towards the bend and back after each tie in. Then when you go to build the head the shape is already there, all you do is cover that shape with final wraps.

Dave, I've seen a couple methods and I wanted your take: do you pre-trim (angled) the buck tail before mounting with a pinch wrap, or do you mount then trim (at the angle)?

I'm not real careful on the buck tail length when I tie in actually, if anything I like a little length over the eye. I'm very careful on the tie in point and very careful to not let the thread build to the eye before trimming the buck tail. I tend to trim each color ( presently thinking of the Black Nose Dace, so three colors of Buck Tail) before stacking on the next. But have done it the other way as well ( cut all three). . I don't try to cut my taper before the tie in occurs though. The key is to keep enough head space to begin with but not over due that space. Also thin thread, both he and I use 8/0 Uni with a little wax a lot so it takes quite a bit to over build the head. And the wax helps bind the materials.

Another Mcphail trick is to circle the tie in material with thread before cinching it down on the hook. This stops material wrap dead but not so great for multi colors unless you pre organize them and cinch them down all together.

Seriously though , the guy has some great techniques. I watch a lot of people tie, lots of videos and more and more I look to his as a standard. But hey, others might like another guys ways better.

Try starting the head closer to the eye. For that fly just one eye length back.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a shot.

Cut your materials at an angle when you trim, wrap forward to the eye or with tails towards the bend and back after each tie in. Then when you go to build the head the shape is already there, all you do is cover that shape with final wraps.

Dave, I've seen a couple methods and I wanted your take: do you pre-trim (angled) the buck tail before mounting with a pinch wrap, or do you mount then trim (at the angle)?

The key is to keep enough head space to begin with but not over due that space. Also thin thread, both he and I use 8/0 Uni with a little wax a lot so it takes quite a bit to over build the head. And the wax helps bind the materials.

Another Mcphail trick is to circle the tie in material with thread before cinching it down on the hook. This stops material wrap dead but not so great for multi colors unless you pre organize them and cinch them down all together.

Thanks Dave, I'm going to sit down and give it a shot.

It just takes practice, as for what they look like: fish don't care! It's "us" crazy tiers that make ourselves sick trying to perfect a fly head. My first attempts looked like Stevie Wonder Tied them while he was drunk! keep practicing. you'll get it.

BTW If the fish eat it then you've won the battle.

It just takes practice, as for what they look like: fish don't care! It's "us" crazy tiers that make ourselves sick trying to perfect a fly head. My first attempts looked like Stevie Wonder Tied them while he was drunk! keep practicing. you'll get it.

BTW If the fish eat it then you've won the battle.

heh heh... nice. Thanks for the comments.

I just tied a couple more tonight and - same thing. A little better, though. I tried a couple of the recommended techniques and I can see how they will make the head better. I just need some more practice I guess. When I get a better looking one, I'll post it for some more critique.

Thanks to all who commented - I appreciate the advice.

Tied this one tonight following all the recommendations from this post. I can live with this. Love to hear any further critique though.

photo_zpsg6b9ruop.jpg

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate all your help.

Lookin good, nice head. I like the pattern, think I might make some of those myself.

Hey if you like it then good enough and glad the suggestions of the thread have helped you !!. What I know is that looks like a Land Locked Salmon killer to me !

Lookin good, nice head. I like the pattern, think I might make some of those myself.

Thanks. It's supposed to be a Magog Smelt. I read that it was originally tied for salmon and Steelhead making their way out of Lake Memphremagog up in Newport, VT. I fish the Clyde and Willoughby Rivers up there quit a bit but haven't tried this pattern yet.

Thanks. It's supposed to be a Magog Smelt. I read that it was originally tied for salmon and Steelhead making their way out of Lake Memphremagog up in Newport, VT. I fish the Clyde and Willoughby Rivers up there quit a bit but haven't tried this pattern yet.

I'd say by looking at the pattern to hang on when you do try it !