Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WdyCoachmen

Mad Tom Fly?

Hello everyone,

I recently started tying Clouser minnows and after about the fourth one and consistently reviewing a video I was using as a guide I got them down pretty well. But, I was thinking about doing a Mad Tom version of a Clouser Minnow.

I researched that fly, but all seem to be with rabbit as the body material. Has anyone tried a Clouser Minnow, but with some rubber legs at the front of the fly to mimic the mad tom whiskers? That was more the angle I was thinking, remove the flash and put some rubber legs up there.

Thoughts, comments?

Wdy

Mad Toms, catfish & Sculpins all have similar basic shapes, so if a fly imitates one it could imitate all. That's why the rabbit is popular. Could imitate a wide variety of things that fish will eat and the movement does elicit strikes. Adding the rubber/silicone legs may be adding some extra movement that could be enticing to whatever species of fish you happen to get the fly in front of, but not sure the "whisker" feature is really necessary.

I've seen some Clouser variations with silicone or rubber legs. I just got such a fly in a fly swap. I have certainly tied flies with various materials, barbells & rubber legs that might resemble a Clouser Minnow to some folks, but may not be something I would call a Clouser Minnow.

IMO, you may be over thinking it, but it never hurts to experiment & try things to see how they work for you.

Fair enough, I get it. I might just use it as a chance to practice tying more flies and experimentation. The scaplin was next on my list to learn so, I guess it's me, fly vise, and NCAA on the TV tonight.

I'll be fishing for smallies in the James River, in Virginia.

Thanks for the input.

I might just use it as a chance to practice tying more flies and experimentation.

By all means, use whatever materials you wish to try. That's a great way to learn & practice or experimentation never hurts. You could very well come up with a pattern that works as well or better than those already popular! Smallmouths are my favorite freshwater fish, but I've never fished the James. Would like to someday.

IMO, flies like the one Bob posted are a great example of patterns that have a lot of movement to the materials, and can possibly imitate a wide variety of prey that the Smallmouths will eat. There are other patterns as well, and you can get as complex or simple as you wish with them. That's the tiers prerogative.

I too like black as Bob suggested, but IMO his fly would work as it is for Smallmouths. Actually, other than some baitfish patterns, black & olive are my two favorite fly colors for Smallmouths, but I also like rusty brown colors & the basic chartreuse & white combo. Can't go wrong with any of them IMO.