Fly Tying
ryveradair

Lifelong Dream

I have always been interested in living off of the land just me and the great outdoors. I just recently watched the move Alone in the Wilderness; a movie about Dick Proenneke. It just amazes me how he made all of his hand tools, other than the heads, and built a log cabin with his bare hands. The crazy part is the he remained living there for 30 years! Anyway, just wondering if any of you guys have done something like this? Also, if you guys have any knowledge about living off the land, building a cabin, carving your own tools, etc. to please share;whether it be a personal experience or a website of some sort. That would be great. Thanks in advance!

While I have never had the opportunity to really 'live' off the land, I do strike out once a year for a week in the woods with just my backpack, only tool I bring is a leatherman (not recommending anyone to just go out and do this, it takes considerable knowledge to be successful). I do primitive skills (starting fires with sticks, preserving food without technology, making tools, navigating without maps, trapping, identifying foods, building shelters) and like to keep my skills honed. Most difficult week I did was in February, built a quinzee, was actually quite nice in the quinzee after a while. Longest stint I went out for was two weeks, camped out on a small stream, built a nice little hut, a water powered mill for grains to make flour, caught brookies in the stream, trapped some red squirrels, had a blast. If I could get the time off from work I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I helped out my cousin quite a bit when he did his stuff, he lived in a tent for two years. Looks like your in Ohio, there are a couple p-skills schools down there, if you want to get in to this stuff I'd find one of them a go to some courses, they are a lot of fun and teach you the essentials for survival.

http://medicinescout.com/

http://www.survivalschool.com/

I've seen the Dick Proenneke video ... while on a CruiseWest cruise in Alaska ... and what he did was amazing. As amazing as it was, it was the way of the all explorers and settlers worldwide.

While I have never built a cabin, I did spend 7 months living "off the land" back in '81. I signed up for the Corps and went May and went in in December. In between those dates, I rode around on my bike and lived in my tent. I always found a spot by a river or stream to camp ... caught fish, snared animals and foraged plants for meals. I'd do odd jobs for a farmer or rancher for gas money. It's not too hard, with a little knowledge of edible plants.

If you're planning on doing what Proenneke did ... you'll need a lot more skill and knowledge than you can gain online.

By the way ... If any of you can find the video ... I HIGHLY recommend watching it.

Is that the guy who lived on the lake up in Alaska or the Yukon? I saw a documentary about him on PBS a couple of years ago and was mightily impressed.

Steve

Yeah, Steve. Proenneke decided to homestead on a pristine lake in Alaska. He flew in a year before, cleared and stacked wood for the cabin. Stayed in civilization that Winter, then started building as soon as the plane could get him back in there the following Spring. He had the Summer to make the place survivable and completed it all just in time. It's a fascinating story. Watching him cut perfectly flat shelf and door lumber with a hand saw is what amazed me the most.

the closest I'm gonna get to doing that is watching "Alaska: the last frontier" or "mountain men" on the tv!

I guess my dreams are a little different!

smile.pngsmile.png

That is a great movie!

Mr. Proenneke was amazing. I can't imagine even setting up the camera for the filming, let alone doing all that stuff. Very cool.

That was a great movie but read the book its even better. It has his recipe for sour dough pancakes and biscuits.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.