Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JanBoy

Dubbing Dry Fly

Hello :)

This might sound really silly but before I started fly tying I could swear I was sold a black dry fly with only dubbing, it was just shaped few different ways and sizes. But it was a killer fly caught every time.

My question being has anyone ever seen a fly like this or is it possible? It didn't have any wings on it as I know other patterns like black spiders and stuff.

Thanks in advance.

I have never seen one but I tie an ant that is just 2 lumps of thread on a hook. don't know if it works but it looks like an ant

Thanks that actually probably is what it was with just the body closer together, only asked as it was very effective fly :)

If it was black, then the question dosen't sound silly at all & it probably was a fish magnet! There are people that say if your only gonna ty a fly in one colour, make sure it's black! I don't know what the fly is you are asking about is? But a allblack anything is sure to catch something!

My GRHE is a dry and apart from gold tinsel for the rib is all hare's ear. Was it anything like this?

GRHE_0002_zpsn7rjuqbc.jpg

(Shape I mean not colour).

Cheers,

C.

Thanks for the replies :) I think KOKOEK9 hit it on the head it did look a black ant with the body I.E the two blobs close together only they where dubbing not thread, I agree with you there it was very effective but I gave it to another lad who was struggling to catch, so now I need more haha.