Fly Tying

Fly Tying Bench - mplutodh1

A couple weeks ago I snagged an armoire that came pretty close to matching our master bedroom set with the intent of turning it into a fly tying station. I've been hesitant to tie more frequently because of the time and hassle of getting all my tools and material out and cleaning it up and putting it away each time. I debated roll-top desks but opted for the armoire for a little more storage and better match with our furniture. With help from my Dad (who is big into wood-working as well as fly fishing/tying) we built an insert that slides into the main area of the armoire. With one shelf to hold craft drawers for feather and material storage and another for more material and book storage. Also opted for peg board backing on the lower portion so I can hang frequently used materials in close reach. The working surface pulls out about 10 inches so I can get the vise in front of me without racking my knees on the cabinet below. A quick HDMI splitter and I've got a TV inside the cabinet so I can watch along with my wife in the evening while still tying (the main TV is far enough outside of the cabinet I'd have to lean out and watch which would mean I'm not tying so that was a no-go). I've also got a small netbook I plan to use for watching SBS videos or checking patterns. I've got some sanding to do before staining but got the bulk of it done today. I'm planning to make a thread storage rack for and a few other tool caddy's for the left wall and bench top. Also planning to add a work light at the top of the cabinet and will have a few IKEA LED lights to focus on the vise. Finally a true tying station that I will be able to tie at and just close the doors and 'hide' the mess!

img550f82e75fa68.jpg

img550f82ea0b339.jpg

img550f82ecc3b4b.jpg

View the full article

Nice but it looks like a furniture store sample. Where's all the stuff? It isn't a real tying bench until it's messy.

It isn't a real tying bench until it's messy.

I think I am going to have a sign made of this and hang it above my bench.

J

How did you make the insert? I have been thinking of doing just whatt you did. It looks awsome. any suggestions on how you built the insert and the slide out shelf would be much appreciates

Yeah - the tying materials are in a pile all over the guest bedroom bed... awaiting their new home. And we have a guest staying over this weekend so guess I'll need to get it cleaned up. Held off on moving everything into the new cabinet until I do more sanding / and a few more things. Realized I need to cut a hole for the cords for the monitor and my lights.

Picked up the IKEA lights today (got two of the desk LED guys and then a 4 piece LED strip that I'll use to light the cabinet as well. Also got in to Harbor Freight to get the peg board hooks and some hollow punches for some foam projects eventually.

Once I get it wrapped up and materials in I'll post more photos.

And yes, the wife does let me tie in the bedroom... at least for now!

Rusty - all I did was sketch up a quick drawing of what I had in mind. I measured the inside dimensions that I had to work with (that still allowed the doors to slide in to the sides. From there I figured out what I wanted to use for storage (the plastic craft drawers) and anything else I had in mind for it. From there I decided on the layout. For assembly it was really the box (sides top and bottom) The sides we opted to go the dado route for stability) So two identical pieces for top and bottom of the 'box' two sides mirrored with 4 dado cuts each (top, bottom and two shelves). After I had the box together, flipped it on the face and put on the back. I wanted it to look fairly nice so we ripped some facing strips (with a cool tool from Rockler that lets you cut uniform strips on a table saw). Those strips glued and nailed to the faces and in the dado slots for the shelves to cover things up so you don't see the plywood edges. After that we made the shelf - again plywood with 3 edges (front and sides) with tacked strips. The shelf slides along the bottom of the box and is kept in with two cleats nailed/glued to the sides. I left room so I can add a 'stop' for the shelf to avoid accidentally pulling it all the way out.

Took a day of actual work putting it all together.

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I cant wait to see it all finished. That was a great ides you had. You can leave your vice and the tools you use the most left out on the sliding shelf and plenty of room to store the rest of your stuff then close the door and it just looks like a piece of furniture. Nice job I like it

I'm noticing lots of video screens on tyers benches now. Guess I better get into the new century.