Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

sun glasses

after many many years of having to wear prescription glasses, i had cataract surgery in my right eye and use a contact lens in my left eye and no longer need prescription glasses and vision is corrected to about 20/20.

i would like to hear from non prescription sun glass wearers what are some good sunglasses and what color lenses to use during sunny days as well as cloudy days

thanks in advance

norm

Being cheap ... I've always gone to Walmart and bought the "Strike King" polarized glasses from the fishing section. I have never noticed any distortion problems with them, but they do tend to get a little hazy after about 6 months. A new pair, every 6 months, at 15 bucks each ... I can buy 5 years worth for the same price as some of the high end ones. And when I lose a pair, it's no big deal.

I have never liked the "gray" color. It doesn't seem to "enhance" anything.

I like the amber ones, as they are great for bringing out shades of green. I think they allow the best water penetration viewing of any color.

If you can find a pair ... yellow is my all time favorite color. During bright daylight, they seem to not "dim" the incoming light at all, but I don't "squint" once my eyes adjust, so I know they are "protecting" my eyes. They enhance everything and water penetration is almost equal to the amber ones. The best thing about the yellow ... it seems to brighten the shadows. They are fantastic for low light conditions and are better than the amber then.

I agree with Mike about the amber lenses, I use them for all conditions. Of all the sunglasses I've ever had, I have to say the Maui Jims are by far my favorites even though they are too expensive. Haven't lost them yet, luckily.

I am a radiologist so my eyes are my profession.

I have mostly Maui Jims and a few Costa Del Mar. I use the same sun glasses for fishing and driving. Glass is optically better than plastic. They are much harder to scratch.

Glasses that conform to your face are better than the ones with flat lenses in front. The allow less light to enter and reflect off the back side of the lens into your eyes. Both Maui Jims and Costa have antireflective coatings on the backside of the glasss lenses. There is a lot more to sunglasses than just polarization.

The best color for the lens is the color of the water and the color of the bottom structure. That is why copper works best for fresh water and a blueish tint for salt water.

I have Maui Jims that are 25 years old and the glass is as good as new. Once you buy Maui Jims, they will replace the them for defects or repair/replace for a very reasonable fee.

I use Aqua glasses from Italy, they have a very comfortable fit & huge lenses, i want to see everything unrestricted when i'm on the water, not look cool & have frame on the edge of my sight! One thing i learnt not that long ago about lense colours is, you should match the colour of the lenses with the colour of the bottom where you are fishing, on salt water flats use yellow lenses same as the sand, grey rock bottom use grey lenses, dirty sand use amber, mud use brown, if it's to dark to see, propably black!

Nobody mentioned polaroid. If you're using them for fishing you're gonna wish they were.

Well if you've fished this long without them, maybe you won't miss them. Basically they make it possible to see fish etc in the water, instead of just the glare of reflected light off the surface. Everyone I've ever fished with or talked fishing with swore by polaroid glasses.

I think FlaFly meant polarized but he is right. Polarized is a must.

I wear a pair of Oakley Holbrooks with very dark almost black polarized lenses, I've had them for many years and I really like them for general use but they aren't the best for fishing. Brown is better, I had a pair of brown lenses I could pop in when fishing for a short while but I lost one, they were better than the black lenses they made it easier to see through the glare on the water. They are starting to wear out at the hinges after a few years of daily use so I have been shopping around for a new pair for fishing and I am quite interested in a couple of the Smith Optics Glasses with the Chromapop lenses. I've tried them on a few times and they are pretty awesome the lenses are amazingly clear and distortion free.

I feel like sunglasses are a thing that have to be picked out for the individual. You have to get out there and try on all the sunglasses you can. That's the only way you will get glasses you love and you want to love your sunglasses.

As for suggestions about what you should get I wouldn't make specific suggestions but I will say a few things...

-Buy Quality, That is the #1 thing don't get cheap glasses

-Polarized or nothing, Non-polarized glasses are utterly pointless

-Buy glasses that have replaceable lenses, I have replaced my lenses several times over the years its much better than buying new glasses when you get a scratch. I buy the replacements from Revant Optics and they are really good quality replacements and much cheaper than the Oakley lenses.

-Get a tether or retainer or what ever you want to call it so you don't loose them. I would probably cry if i lost my glasses to the river.

Hope that helps

look here: (that was a good pun)

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=80812

we've had a reasonable discussion about polarizing lenses. There is really no reason to NOT have polarizing lenses on sunglasses you use for fishing.

I've been blessed with 20/10 vision and can absolutely tell the difference in el-cheapo vs high quality lenses. I have a pair of Oakleys which are 5 years old and still pristine. I take very good care of them.

I've had two friends who suffered permanent loss of sight due to eye injury. I take glasses and my vision seriously.

I don't know if this is allowed so the mods can remove the post. This ad is time sensitive for Costa Del Mar glasses on another FF BB. I have no financial interest in this ad and I do not personally know the poster.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/damn-near-free-costa-del-mar-sunglasses-new.105968/

I like the Smith sunglasses for fishing. They have really low distortion and are durable. Not cheap but with care they will last a decade. For vision clarity Oakley are just as good but in my experience (and I have used them for cycling for years) the lens coatings are not as durable. Have not tried the other brands mentioned.

Steve

Smith mavericks for me. Amber lenses and I wear them fishing, driving in sun and rain. I may leave my American express and home but not my Mavericks