Fly Tying
Chaznsc

Rod Wrap recommendation

I have ordered some hook keepers for some of the rods I use. What good basic thread wrap / glue would I need to attach them?

You might want to post this in the rod building forum. Might get some more action there.

You will need some rod building thread, and some two part rod finish (do not use epoxy/adhesive). You will also need to rotate the rod by hand every few minutes as it cures for a couple hours, or buy a rod dyer.

What part of SC are you in? There are several rod builders in SC that might be able to give you a hand. Also, you might say what kind of rods those are (we are all assuming fly rods.)

Most of us use Size A nylon for rod wraps on graphite. The thread is available from any rod building supplier. The brand doesn't matter too much. FishHawk, PacBay, Gudebrod, there are others. Colors are your choice, but remember that it will get much darker when coated with finish. Cost is around $3/spool.

The finish is a thin, 2-part epoxy specially formulated for the purpose. It will cost in the neighborhood of $20. Again, several brands, but they all work about the same.

If you can find a local rod builder, they can probably furnish both the thread, and sample packets of finish for a lot less. On top of which, you'll get some valuable advise on how to actually do the project.

in addition to the good advice above consider matching your current wraps with madeira or sulky brand threads from your local fabric store. "threadmaster one" is an easy to use finish (got mine at mudhole.com)