Fly Tying

Soon I'll be in the market for a new pair of wading boots to go with my stocking foot waders. Just curious as to what everyone uses and how they like what they have, and also to whether or not anyone has/uses a pair with the Boa lacing system and how well it holds up. Seems like a sweet idea, but at the same time seems less fail proof than normal waders. I haven't narrowed it down much yet as I'm just starting to look!

For those that are all worried about this already being discussed in detail, point me towards where I can read about it.

Love my Simms Guide G3 boots. Very Comfortable walking and good grip performance when wading on slippery rocks. Get what fits you comfortably, in my opinion that is the most important thing.

I bought simms vapor boots last summer & i'm really happy, super light, feel like a jogging shoe & not a ski boot, exellent for driving the car in & comfortable for walking long distances! One tip for laces is, buy ice hockey laces, they are much cheaper & last much longer than any wading laces!

I have Simms Rivertech with Boa. Keep the boa clean and follow directions, and it should give you no trouble. Mine are a couple years old and I love them. Fast, easy, no knots getting locked up when saturated... I wouldn't go back to laces. Boa has excellent, outstanding customer support and last I looked free replacement parts by filling out an online warranty form. I got an extra reel and cable to keep in my gear bag just in case, but have not needed it.

I have had Korker boots with the Boa system for about 7 years. The boots are very light and comfortable. The Boa system will temporarily stick occationally and requires a little tugging and twisting to release. It doesn't happen very often. The Boa system is especially handy for retightening the boot if they expand after getting wet. Just a quick twist and they are tight. They're a little faster than conventional laces when putting on and taking off the boots too.

The quick change soles are handy too. They're available in felt, rubber, aluminum bars, studs, etc.

I have used Chota for at least the last 15 years. They last, can have studs easily put in and out and are easy to get in and out of. If I had the money I would consider a boot with the Boa system. I have it on my cycling shoes and it is nice.

Steve

There's a number of good boots on the market these days, don;t get stuck on just one brand. Korkers, Simms, Chota, as well as others make good ones. I have been using Korkers for the past few years and like them a lot, but look around and try some on and see what fits not just your foot but your budget as well.

One thing I have found is the interchangable soles are super nice, as well as the boa laces. I thought I would hate the boa system on my Korkers before I tried them, but now I would find it hard to go back to normal laces.

Everybody has the set they say is the best, Think about what you can afford that will fit your needs. I use Cabellas Ultra lights and love them. I've used my first pair for six years, and finally broke down a year ago, to get a new set last year. The old ones I donated to a friend just getting into the sport and he's been wearing them since. For the price, I feel they are the best "bang for the buck".

Mine aren't the best! I have a set of Chota Rock Creek and they both are coming apart at the seams in three different places. They're about 1 1/2 years old. There's also a tear in the sole and they won't hold spikes anymore. My first pair of them lasted 2 years, I figured I'd give them another shot because they ARE comfortable, not too pricey and my local shop had them in stock. But I believe this is my last pair of Chota's. This has been my experience, your mileage may vary. The Korkers are intriguing, makes me leary about the soles slipping off but from what i've read it isn't an issue.

The Korkers are intriguing, makes me leary about the soles slipping off but from what i've read it isn't an issue.

That was an issue years ago, but not an issue to worry about these days. The very first Korkers I would have a sole slip out every once in awhile in thick mud (my Korker Convert-a-boots), but that issue was taken care of in the newer designs. They now use attachments at the toe, heel and about six tabs all the way down the sides of the sole so now the soles hold in very firmly. I've had my Korker Metalheads for over two years now and haven't had the sole of those slip out at all.

I also have a pair of Korkers and haven't had any issues with the soles coming off. It's their cheapest pair without the BOA lacing. So, I can't comment on that. I've found that I haven't actually used the interchangeable sole feature and just used the felt ones.

I have the G3's and they are terrific. I added both the Simms' HardBite and AlumiBite cleats to their rubber soles (according to the recommendation of the placement of them. Mine are a couple of years old and I don't know what name they are calling their rubber soles now) and I believe they have as good if not better traction than felt with cleats.

Joe

I have Simms with studs and and where I am it's basically all shale rock and it gets very slippery but with the studs I can go basically anywhere without slipping.

I have had Korker Metalheads since last year, and they are very comfortable. Here is another plug for the BOA lacing system, I use a float tube a lot of the time, and a boot coming untied was very difficult to retie while out in the middle of the lake. If the BOA needs tightening, it is much simpler to give it a twist rather than trying to pull up on both ends of a lace and then tie them up without falling over forward into the lake.