Fly Tying
JohnWu

Hackle pliers slippage, gd scissors?

That VB is one good argument for buying the cheapest scissors and changing them often. Until a recent experiment with a much higher quality of scissor, I always did this paying £1:42 (about $2) plus tax a pair. I changed them every 6 to 9 months or if they were damaged. When I tried Dr Slick I found I could get about 2 year out of them for 10 times the price. The math was simple.

(You should note I do tie rather a lot).

Cheers,

C.

I use different hackle pliers, lots of times the electrical lead type, other times the scissor-type with a rubber face on one side. When mine started slipping, I put a two-sided fingernail file in the jaws and drew it back and forth a couple of times. Made a big difference. I don't know if the rubber was aged or had something built up on them, but the emery board sure improved the grip.

I ended up just getting the cheap veniards hackle pliers again n they work perfect, won't be bothering with the rubbers ones again