Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wschmitt3

Found this fly rod on the side of road several years ago... Help Ident

So like the title says I found this fly rod on the side of the road a few years ago in a case with the reel pictured. It is 2-piece, it seems to be a 4-weight but has no weight markings on it it just says Diamondback Graphite. It has a tip and guide wrap repair (poorly done) I think it's missing an inch or so and the ferrule doesn't hold together very well. For you rod builders/fixers and guys who have more years of knowledge than I do. Do you know the brand of the rod? Is it worth putting a few dollars into to get it into fishing form.

post-52247-0-46716500-1427155617_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-67187800-1427155640_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-01719100-1427155663_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-20550700-1427155686_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-10433800-1427155711_thumb.jpg

They were an independent rod company from Stowe Vermont. I remember them from about 1980. Later (not sure when,) they were purchased by the Cortland Line Company. I don't think Cortland is producing the same rods at all.

You can find them for sale at about 150 to 200 so, it is worth fixing up at least as a back up rod.

They sell for somewhere in the 250-300 dollar range. Never cast one but I'd bet if there is a fly shop/someone nearby you who does repairs it would be worth putting $50 into it, if not just to have a back up rod (or a different weight). I mean a $300 dollar rod for $50 isn't bad, I'd take a deal like that, and you don't even need to pick up a reel for it unless you really hate the one that was on it.

In my opinion, any free "fishable" rod is worth repairing for use. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say.

No better way to learn a little about wrapping a rod.

If you got lucky, it might even be worth money.

Only went for a pee in the bushes and when I got back the rod was gone. Cant put anything down for two seconds round here.