Fly Tying

Hard to say from the photo. Not exactly very clear. It looks like a standard soft hackle fly except they used CDC (probably in a split thread technique) instead of regular hen or game bird feathers. Just a guess.

These are the only two components besides the thread. Goose Biot and I guess considered a hackle. thanks Since Im new to dry flys I just wanting to find a tutorial to tie it. thanks

post-52782-0-35450100-1427252332_thumb.jpg

If you learn any soft hackle tie it is a simple step to change it up to whatever body you want, add and tail or no tail, Dubbing or just thread, Partridge, Hen, or any of a number of soft hackle feathers. And yes, CDC can be wrapped just like soft hackle. No need to put in a loop unless that's your preference. Here's on to get you started. Learn this and you know them all.

I agree with above. I don't think the collar is a hackle, but either CDC or marabou wrapped in a loop or a split string. Like a Petitjean magic tool tied fly.

Agree that it is likely a biot body and CDC hackle. I don't think that is is done split thread, the fiber ends all look pointed which they wouldn't be if the fibers had been stripped from the shaft.

Steve

I have about 6 rows of various colors and sizes of soft hackle patterns wrapped with CDC. If you get quality CDC like Pettijean's it is simple to wrap the CDC just like would any other hackle. I can see about getting a pic tomorrow to show a few wrapped CDC softies. Doing them in a loop will never get you the nice rearward facing tips like winding the hackle will.

And Craigaig, that is not one of the feathers I pull one side off, but I do and plan to keep on doing it with hen and on some ties partridge.wink.png biggrin.png

you CAN get the swept back look using a dubbing loop by sweeping the fibers back toward the bend while wrapping the thread forward. repeat with each wrap of thread

Either the quill wrapped method or the split thread method are good for CDC hackles. However, you can sometimes get better results with the split thread method because you can adjust the length of the fibers when you insert them into the thread. And yes, you can sweep the fibers rearward with strokes while wrapping and with well placed wraps of thread.

If a split thread method was used, the CDC had extremely long fibers. I think it's a Puff Daddy, and that it's wrapped.

Not exactly clear from the photo the body could be stripped peacock, or peacock eye single strand not stripped, or a biot, possibly goose.

The hackle is certainly CdC. To me it looks like a wound feather. There would be cut ends showing if it was made of fibres in a loop. There are none.

I do wonder why you need a video. Whatever the body the technique for winding it is the same, and I'm sure you can wind a hackle.

From your pick I've knocked these alternatives up. The biot is from a hen pheasant wing but any will do.

post-43582-0-69775600-1427406922_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-15009500-1427406935_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-61261500-1427406947_thumb.jpg

From left to right Biot body, Stripped peacock, Un-stripped peacock eye.

Which one is most like the one you have is up to you.

Cheers,

C.