Fly Tying
Sharkster

Lab Rat mouse pattern

Been tying a few mice for the much anticipated thaw. These float like a cork, and always land right. The tail is ultra suede, the belly is sparkle braid, and the body is craft foam.

These can also get a rise out of the wife if strategically placed. At your own risk of course.

post-55510-0-04909900-1427483814_thumb.jpgpost-55510-0-10180900-1427483823_thumb.jpgpost-55510-0-41644900-1427483829_thumb.jpg

I don't want to alarm you but you have a family of mice living on the shelf behind your vice. I would have that taken care of, they can get into materials and make a mess:>)

Steve

From the second photo, it looks pretty straight-forward. What's the body dubbed with?

Oh by the way, those are really really cool!

Fla fly the body is pearl sparkle braid.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am proud of this pattern. It took a long time to get right, and wow does it kill around the lily pads.

I will work on a step by step. It's really not hard once you get one under your belt. I'm going to tie a few more, and will try and step it out. I've never done one before, but I am willing to give it a go.

I've had that mouse on my mind, and come up with the idea of making a frog along the same lines. I'm thinking a bundle of 4 or 5 sili-legs tied on near the rear end, knotted at the mid-point and at the tip, for legs. A jerky retrieve would presumably make the legs behave like frogs' legs. What'ya think?

Thanx Bruce

Great idea. Much simpler than most mouse flies, and still looks real.

I've had that mouse on my mind, and come up with the idea of making a frog along the same lines. I'm thinking a bundle of 4 or 5 sili-legs tied on near the rear end, knotted at the mid-point and at the tip, for legs. A jerky retrieve would presumably make the legs behave like frogs' legs. What'ya think?

Look at the frog Mikechell posted. Just sub in rubber legs for the congo hair he used.

See you could spend an hour spinning deer hair perfectly or you could do this and get the same result, fantastic fly, only thing I don't like about it is that it wasn't my idea:)

What do you call it????

Pinky or the Brain ??????

Great imagination and artistry to produce a pattern like that!

See you could spend an hour spinning deer hair perfectly or you could do this and get the same result, fantastic fly, only thing I don't like about it is that it wasn't my idea:)

Tim, you're right about that...BUT...there's something about the guys who can turn deer hair into works of art that can't be surpassed. Tho the foam rats are great and will do the job they're not going to go under glass just to look at like a couple of flies I've received from the deer hair guys.

And Sharkster that is no way meant to take away from the great design you've developed. I'd gladly set out mouse traps if I could catch a couple of those for the bass in the ponds around here. What we lack here is lily pads. I miss them so much from my time in the north it's hard to deal with virtually no vegetation to fish around. I used to fish lilies and made them a second home on some of the waters I fished.