Fly Tying
Sharkster

Lab Rat mouse pattern

Flyonline those are great. Love the one with the big eyes.

I've got to agree with Stevester that is a big big rat. But I hear it almost every trip... big fly (or bait, lure, etc...) = big fish. I guess I'm not prepared for things that eat muskrats. I like the idea though.

Sharkster

the dolls eyes do look cool but they break easily hence the stick on eyes.

Steve

When the fish could possibly be 1m/3' and 22kg/40lb then they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouth so a 10/0 is small.

Here's a video of one attempting to take a full size duck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8rb7qvwvWc

Apologies for the side track, back on subject now.

all great patterns. for mice, i go with k.i.s. patterns. no eyes, ears or whiskers. up to this point, the Moorish Mouse has been my go to pattern. the opera house one has my interest as a fishing pattern.

I just added a step by step in that section. Check it out if you are interested. Hope it was fairly clear, as It was my first SBS and man did it take some doing. I can't call it work because it was fun, just time consuming.

Cheers, I'm going to pour some bourbon.

That is a great mouse pattern. Can't wait to try to follow the SBS. Where do you get the ultra suede??

What I have is "Silver Pearl" Ultrasuede. I have bought it from Whitetail fly tieing supplies, and also EBAY. I have also seen it at Joann fabrics, but only once.

I use it specifically because it doesn't get hard when it dries out after fishing. It's also tough and very flexible so it has great movement. Search "Ultrasuede" and you should get plenty of options.

Of course you can substitute with things like chenille and foam, but its worth getting the suede.