Fly Tying
Crackaig

Flash storage

Until an hour ago I kept products like Krystal Flash in the packets they came in. I ended up with this.

post-43582-0-80378400-1427561624_thumb.jpg

Now this is how I'm storing it.

post-43582-0-53076800-1427561640_thumb.jpg

The tubes were sold on ebay for bead storage. They also do them in 3 inch version, which I am considering for dubbing.

One of the great things about them is being triangular they don't roll!

Cheers,

C.

The tubes are nice but you have to remove the material from the tube each time you use it. And they take up too much space for my needs.

I keep the material in the original plastic and cut a triangle out of the upper corner of the plastic on the end of the zip tie. Then you can grab the strands of flash material at the corner, pull it out of the triangle, and cut it off at the zip tie. The rest of the material always stays in the package.

Put another zip tie next to the original, cut between them and you have two separate hanks of flash material. Cut the corner off of the other side of the package, and you can then store two different colors in the same bag. It saves space in my travel tying kit.

Notice how a snip at the upper edge of the plastic packages below will allow you to take what ever you want without every having to open up the package. Put two different colors, one on each side and you have an efficient and easy storage system for a grab and go tying kit.

Crystal_Flash_large.jpg?v=1382436458

The tubes actually take up much less space as can be witnessed by the current contents of my waste paper bin! The other thing is I do travel with materials a lot, these offer much more protection.

Cheers,

C.

Similiar product has been around for quite some time, and you can make your own for even cheaper. While initially your solution seemed elegant, I wonder how convenient it is to have a cap on only one end, as opposed to both ends which is more typical. Having caps on both ends is much more convenient for loading and unloading materials, and as long as the caps are not round, the tubes do not roll on the table. Just something to consider.

And as for the 'snip-the-bag' school of thought, the way I look at it is the bags are for storage, and the tubes are for tying/travel. When I need flash, I need access to the whole shebang, not the tiny bit I can tease through a hole in the bag. YMMV.