Fly Tying
WVUontheFLY

Boat Box Suggestions

I head to garage sales now to look for "cases" to reuse. No luck yet, but it's early in the garage sale season.

What type of foam did you use ihang10? All I could find at my local Jo-Ann fabrics was some 3mm craft foam which would be thick enough. I am almost thinking of buying those foam puzzle piece looking floor mats and then using those for the interior foam and cut slots in those

Check out fishpond sushi roll. i have an umpqua famous 2500 boat box and love it.

Thought about the sushi roll but my buck tail streamers are taller than the roll diameter

What type of foam did you use ihang10? All I could find at my local Jo-Ann fabrics was some 3mm craft foam which would be thick enough. I am almost thinking of buying those foam puzzle piece looking floor mats and then using those for the interior foam and cut slots in those

Whatever craft foam I had from the craft store.

My Lowes used to carry thicker foam sheets, but I haven't looked recently.

If needed, you could double up the foam to thicken it up, but the craft foam works for me.

I haven't thought about the foam puzzles, how thick are those?

I think they are about 1/2'', not 100% sure but there would be enough foam for about 50 boxes plus whatever else you would want to cover. I just need something to really grip my large 3/0+ hooks

I use pool noodle pieces for rigs and such. They make an excellent way to wrap your spinner rigs, lake trolls, or hopper/droppers on, and if you accidentally drop it in the water it will float. I have all kinds of pre-rigged things wrapped on these in my regular tackle box.

Make a sushi roll out of old car mat, phone, egg crate etc. Size it appropriately. Or use big pvc with slits in the side and mount it to your boat. Saltwater guides do it all the time.

So Warren G your saying that a pool noodle is a good way to "Regulate" your fishing rigs?

I get it. ;)

1/2" closed cell foam sleeping pad will make you a lifetime supply of big fly box inserts. If you want it slotted, do as already said and use a razor and metal straight edge. If you want it "ripple" foam, you can do that too with a razor and straight edge. It just takes a little more time. Even though I might take a couple hours to make a really nice deer hair bug, I'm not spending $50 for a box to put it in.

"You've got a lot of nerve to call me cheap, even though it's true"

Joel... I'm with you. I'll admit I'm..... frugal. But I don't want to spring for a whole yoga mat just to get a 10 x 12 piece of foam. See, I'm really frugal.