Fly Tying
Crackaig

Raising Hackle

My landlord will not permit the keeping of chickens. Dogs, cats, cage birds, and fish are all permitted but they consider chickens a farm animal, so I am not able to raise my own hackle. Mind you would I really want to?

Modern fly tying demands all sorts of colours of hackle. The lengths breeders are going to to achieve these are, frankly, heroic. Gone are the days of just taking a bucket of feed out to the flock, and scattering it all around, to let them pick away at it. No to achieve the colours we want each bird must be fed on a specially developed food mix to achieve the colours required. If you have ever seen a flock feeding you will realise just how difficult this is. They will pick away at anything constantly. It takes huge effort to stop this behaviour, and make each stick to their particular diet.

Even worse is trying to separate a flock like this into individual colours for feeding.

April%201st_zpseasfjjkx.jpg

I believe an attempt to train small terriers to do this like cowboys do with a cutting horse, but has, so far, proved unsuccessful.

My admiration goes out to the people who have the patience and dedication to go to these lengths to provide us with hackle.

Cheers,

C.

HAHAHA wonder how many guys are going to catch on, Crack!

Do they lay pre-colored Easter Eggs? Send me some of the pink and some of the chartreuse hackle. Dying them is such a pain it's about time took on the challenge to give us ready to go colors.

Wow! I'd think it would be much easier to keep them penned by color. But then, I know they like to do things the hard way in your neck of the woods, Crackaig.

You could probably make a ton of money if you create one of those hybrid dogs ... like the "labradoodle". You could crossbreed a dachshund (for size) and a Border Collie (for herding ability).

Hmmm ... what to call it.

Dachollie?

Border Cochshund?

Mutt (realistic name for all mixed breeds)

Always thought the feathers were a by-product of Chicken McNuggets for Mickey Dees.

Kimo

I am sure Crackaig will come clean and explain the system of bells the farm uses to call the chickens to dinner. For example, 2 bells is blue, 3 bells is yellow. Basically the same principle my parents used to call my 3 brothers and 3 sisters back home when they were needed for something. We had a large farm bell that was rung with a set number of gongs for all 7 of us. Of course I used it to my advantage since I had a high number and told the younger sibling it was their gong number and not mine. Worked pretty well until they came back. I am sure the chickens would be called to order quite well.

I am sure Crackaig will come clean and explain the system of bells the farm uses to call the chickens to dinner. For example, 2 bells is blue, 3 bells is yellow. Basically the same principle my parents used to call my 3 brothers and 3 sisters back home when they were needed for something. We had a large farm bell that was rung with a set number of gongs for all 7 of us. Of course I used it to my advantage since I had a high number and told the younger sibling it was their gong number and not mine. Worked pretty well until they came back. I am sure the chickens would be called to order quite well.

this gives a whole new meaning to, 'saved by the bell".

Do the breeders have to mix the feed to get grisly?

Ditz2, Much as I have tried to find out the secret mixes used to get colours like grizzle, badger, and cree they are all tight lipped. You have more chance of finding out what goes into Cocoa Cola, or KFC batter.

Cheers,

C.