Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cjsnyder1234

Man cave

My man cave is getting there. Next I need to make some plans to build a wooden desk. I have tons of rough cut cherry to use that will be my summer project. Any thoughts or input is welcome. Have a few things from anglers image coming in.

Do not know how to blow up this photo.

post-52500-0-83268100-1428282341_thumb.jpg

What kind of wood do you have? And tools/shop access?

I have made up some nice wooden plaques and mounted flies to them (not a fan of shadow boxes). One with classic Rangeley Streamers, one with classic mayfly drys, one with Bergman style wets, and one with caddis patterns. I cut the wood out kind of shaped like the old taxidermy mounting plaques but wider, and carved a little patterned border that I darkened with stain. I would like to have all the names stenciled in nice black lettering but I haven't yet. Unfortunately they are not on the wall in the current residence but when I start building my house (hopefully next summer) they will go back up. As a fan of beer I also have a shelf with some cool cans on it (Old Budweiser cans from the 60's, Carling Black Label, Schlitz, Harley Davidson Heavy Beer, Anheuser-Busch drinking water, and many others). I have also been slowly collecting old fishing memorabilia (bamboo rods, reels, posters) at yard sales and such that will also go up. Right now the bench is in the corner of the dining room though and there's nowhere to display stuff.

I have tons of rough cut cherry to work with and pine aswell. as far as tools most anything you can think of. chop saw, table saw, drill press, mig welder( might not need that one so much for woodworking lol) many more that i can not think of right now. more or less it is my stepdads old wood shop in his barn plenty of space and wood. Just need some time and some plans I figured out the dementions I would like. 30 1/2" D x 47" W x 39" T just need some warmer weather and time to get it done.

If I were you I'd call around and find a mill/hardwood specialty store and get the cherry planed by them for a small fee (if they have a nice computerized planer). Even if you have your own planer it will be a days work getting stuff planed down to the same thickness, and it will probably be rough on the blades. When I worked in the woodshop I planed plenty of wood with an old hand crank height adjustment planer and it was always a headache, I don't have my own planer so I brought some rough sawn tulip poplar to a nearby mill and they planed it and sanded it for $20, took them only 30min. For me that was well worth the $20.

Check out http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/ they have decent desk plans for free, there's tons out there but I like this site. If your comfy with math it shouldn't take much to scale a plan to approximately your dimensions.

Thanks! waiting on my hook storage to come in next will be some dobbing storage. Want to get a sparckle spinner as well from oasis but I hate dust so not sure about that one.

I just picked up a beautiful roll top desk on craigslist. Im slowly getting there as well with my man cave. Good luck on yours!

Thanks! CL can be great to find random things like that. I might have to just buy one if I don't have the time to build one.