Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dewey.sbag

I'm Loving it

Have fished all my life, but only started fly fishing last year, earlier this year my local fly shop started a tying group and Iwent along for a look see to and got sucked in big time. I found it fascinating how a fly is built up over many layers to become what we throw at fish.

I looked forward to our monthly meeting and learning some new ideas and flies to tie. Met a great bunch of people with so much knowledge to share.

I bought a vise kit and started tying teeny nymphs, pheasant tail nymphs and Red Tags.

I am very happy with what I have done to date and it is agreeat vise to learn on.

I decided that after I got the technique worked out I would invest in a better vise, definately a rotary.

A really dear friend was coming to stay for Easter, he doesn't tie or fish but he went and bought me a gift, a Renzetti Traveller with some materials to go with it, man what a gift.

They are a beautifully machined work of art. Smooth in operation.

I am going to donate my old vise tomy tying grouop so someone new can learn as I am doing

I sat down night before last and tied some flies on the Renzetti. The fly I'm tying at the moment is an emerging caddis pupae.

The new vise makes this tie so much easier. It was sheer pleasure tying these babies.

The results were not too bad

post-55473-0-53259500-1428554636_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people here that super nice and have amazing talent.

Thats really a cool story, I especially like how you want to give back the old vise to someone else in need. You have a really great friend whom bought you a renzetti, I own one and I love it. but if your pal wants to buy me a new one.....

I wish there was someplace near me that taught classes, it would have made my journey alot less expensive.. How long have you been tying?

Welcome Dewey. by "teeny nymphs" did you mean as in "little bitty nymphs" or actual Teeny Nymphs? (There's a fly by that name)

Welcome to the hobby! I have fished all my life as well I got tired of watching crap on TV so I decided to take up fly tying. I have been tying for a year now and my only regret I have is I should have taken up the hobby A LOT earlier in my life!

Hi FlaFly, they started out as Teeny Nymphs and and wooly buggers on no6 hooks. They looked way to big so used no 10's for a couple of nights and went to 12's, 14's and now 16's.

I think that going to a tying group is a great help as there are so many ideas that comne from there and so much knowledge.

I guess I had a perfect beginning to this hobby.

Nice flies, great story!

I'm new to fly tying as well, been tying about a month. Started with size 10 nymphs now I won't tie larger than size 12, but most are 14/16

Welcome and commiserations. Sounds like you are well and truly hooked.

Right guys I'll open the book. How long before Dewey posts photos of his new dedicated tying area he has built? I give him 18 months!

Seriously, if ever you are stuck for inspiration take a look at Old Hat's beginners tying site. I'm really impressed with it.

Cheers,

C.

Welcome to the site and fly tying community. Guess I am one of the oddities and went the opposite direction. I started out tying on <12 hooks and now only tie on >10 with most of my stuff being 2 and larger. But I chase bigger predatory freshwater fish and a lot of people on here are trout enthusiasts

Crackaig,

not fair man

check what I did on Saturday

Started with a chopping board from IKEA

Some Tasmanian Oak from the timber yard and some brass screws, a few hours and it makes life easier.

Needs a little fine tuning,but works really well

Total cost $50-00

post-55473-0-54949300-1428997195_thumb.jpg