Fly Tying
Bassic

J.Sanchez (Bassic) From Forney TX.

I just start flyfishing about 6 months ago, i will try to learn as much as i can to pass it down to my kids, i been fishing convetional tackle for about 10 years but now that I learned basic flyfishing I want to start tying so here I am !

side note, I sold most of my convetional stuff to buy my fly rods !!

TFO PRO II 9 6wt. Sage 2250 Rio Gold intouch

TFO Cronicles 9" 8wt. Sage 2280 Rio Gold.

Welcome to the site, Bassic. I hope you kept some of your conventional gear. Too many times, I've wanted to go fishing, only to have the day be too windy for comfortable fly fishing ... conventional gear saved the day.

But you've definitely come to the right place to learn tying. SBS (step by step) forum and the database will give you plenty to do.

Welcome Tex... I grew up in Irving so I know your situation. Lucky guy.... you're right smack on Hubbard Reservoir! Hope you're a bass fisherman with those heavyweight rods. If you're interested in panfish, you might swap one for a 4 or 5 wt.

I second Mike on keeping your conventional gear... fortunately spinning gear is way less expensive than fly gear tends to be... I'm curious why you bought two flyrods when you had to sell other stuff to afford it. Are you that ambidextrous?

I keep 4 baitcasters and 2 spinning rods !

I bought the 6wt because it was just going to be one set up for my fishing style been able to used for a little bigger bugs and at the same time for panfish and crappie!

the 8wt well were going to cancun next week and the 6wt i was not going to be enough to fish the flats from the bank ! so bought the 8wt because i can use it for bigger flyes and poppers and frogs to target bass aswell

I sold some of my conventional because i was not able to justify spending extra $$$ on flyfishing stuff to my wife, plus we have 3 kids 2 still on diapers so it was easy for me to sell half of my conventional arsenal and balanced with flyrods !

I have spend $100+ on flies so far, so now that I got a feeling of the ones that i like to use and that works for me i want to buy a small kit and just go from there I will be reading a lot and learnig from the forum for sure !

I will appreciate any advice

Positive or negative ill take them all.

Welcome to the forum, good rod selections by the way - you can use the 6 wgt at the the Guadalupe for Rainbow trout and use the 9 wgt for bass and Saltwater on the Gulf. I am in Houston and don't know exactly where Forney is but someone said Lake Ray Hubbard- if that's the case you should make a trip to Broken Bow, OK. - family friendly state park, very nice trout stream with rainbows and Browns.

Thats if you still remember you have kids? Welcome to flyfishing! I've sometimes forgoten it was a workday when i've gone out before work! :-):-):-):-):-):-)

A hundred bucks for flies? Let's see.... that's maybe 10-20 flies if you bought them from a shop. If you bought the material, it's maybe 3 or 4. Right?

Welcome, Bassic, from a long-inactive member located on the west side (barely) of Lake Buchanan. You might want to consider a 3- or 4-wt in the next couple of years for the panfish (bluegills, crappie, etc.). That would give you something to teach your young-uns and entertain them while you go for bass. Personally, I'd rather go for panfish, myself. I've spread out a bit: one each, 3-wt, 5-wt, 7-wt, & 9-wt. I figure those will cover the panfish, bass, stripers, and saltwater stuff (reds, small shark, etc.).