Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wschmitt3

Today is the day... Opening day!

I have been fishing on the Connecticut for the last week or so (with no luck) but today is opening day for the rest of the rivers in Vermont. I am so excited to hit up some of my favorite and most productive spots on my home river (Wells River) today. I checked water temps an hour ago and they are up to 45 so here's hopin' that there is at least a few fish awake and looking for some food. I don't expect much but I hope to take my first rainbow of the year today.

Fingers and toes crossed!

Thanks BCT,

Only caught one rainbow on a brown wooly bugger, the fish measured a hair below 13". Had two other pretty good bites. One before and one after the catch. First one I completely missed the hook set, I was embarrassingly slow, and second one I lost due to a failed blood knot. I caught this fish (pictured below) and had a snag or two just before the broken knot. I considered and decided not to re-do my knots and wish I had because it was a very nice fish. Also I didn't double up on socks or insulation on my legs and I am freezing after about two hours of knee deep wading.

post-52247-0-18123900-1428777109_thumb.jpg

Ours was last Sat. The river I went to was high and murky, water temp about 43oF, air temp was a few degrees warmer, and the wind was blasting out of the north at about 20. Never had a touch. Not as bad as some years. Family obligations meant I had to leave earlier than I wanted but at least I got a chance to warm up some. Two days later on a different river a few miles away things were much nicer and the fish more cooperative. Gotta love April in the northeast!

Steve