Fly Tying
eastern fly

Classic Style Streamer Swap

Still waiting for a couple materials to show up. But, I have been practicing on some other patterns. Here is a couple I've worked on. These are not what I'm sending in but thought I would share. Really enjoying this swap.

The Warden's Worry

Warden%27s%2BWorry.jpg

And the Shushan Postmaster without the jungle cock eye. I didn't have any so just left it out.

Shushan%2BPostmaster.jpg

Nice job on these.

Kevin

Thank you. It has a neat wet look. The colors blend well. I like big bulky streamers, but feather streamers give you a 3 or 4 inch fly without the difficulty of casting a game changer or something on a small light rod.

The streamer is a grizzly over a black with green tones, four peacock and a male pheasant shoulder and an orange throat.

Kind of funny but I was just about to do a picture of mine since I finished a couple before I got serious and finished the damn crabs I'd signed up for. Then I went back to first post and you said not to post 'em so I'll leave mine as a surprise. I can only hope it might be a pleasant one. I am among many who have never done this style before and I'm working a variation of a Carrie Stevens fly shown by Davie McPhail.

Well I was farting around my vise and got a few trial runs done and was planning on taking a pic of the progress but wouldn't ya know it my phone decides to take a crap on me. Oh well. I guess I will have to just leave my pattern a surprise lol.

I went with a size 2, 6x long hook and have a black and green color scheme. Nothing that I have copied or have imitated just a little experimenting of my own that I happen to think looks good together. Just hope that they will hold up to everyone else's ties.

Can't wait to hold the whole lot of these guys, and probably won't ever fish them. They will most likely adorn my fly tying table for a long time as a beautiful reminder of where this art form progressed from.

Well bassbuster, it's a good thing your phone crapped out since eastern fly doesn't want pics as we go along. I also have been concentrating on them since I finally got the damn crabs done for L'il Dave. Hope I never see a crab again and when the guys in the swap see mine they'll probably say they don't want to see one from me again.sad.png

So anyway, I've been trying my best to get some presentable classics for this swap and I think I'm just getting too old for new tricks. Maybe I should stick to crappie (or is it crappy) flies from now on. Somehow it is just impossible to get 8 feathers, on hunk of deer hair, 4 jungle cock eyes and 3 different bobbin threads to come together and look like the one I was trying to emulate. I'm using a #4 7x long streamer hook with old style eye and when you add all the things that go into a dozen of these things it's the highest cost per fly I've done in a swap with the possible exception of a dozen Hog Snares on a different board. Now I can see why the guys who can do these things so all feathers are in place get the premium for them and most people buying don't fish them either.

Just to let you know how much a glutton for punishment some people can be there is another board for classic flies that is doing a swap of flies tying named flies totally in hand. NO VISE. Those guys use a lot of wax and a lot of half hitches as they go along. I've seen women tie flies that way and it is an amazing sight.

VCrider

Get a jar of Elmers Craft Bond (rubber cement). It is wonderful.

Take a toothpick and apply a small amount of glue to the outside face of the center of the wide area or the first hackle. Glue the outside hackle to the inside hackle. Do all of your hackle pairs. When dry glue the shoulder feather or jungle cock or both to the hackles. Then if you want glue the two sides together if the hackle ride on top of the hook. I do all of my bodies and stop and whip finish without the hackle. I then take a completed body and add a wing either on module to each side or all at once.

VCrider

Get a jar of Elmers Craft Bond (rubber cement). It is wonderful.

Take a toothpick and apply a small amount of glue to the outside face of the center of the wide area or the first hackle. Glue the outside hackle to the inside hackle. Do all of your hackle pairs. When dry glue the shoulder feather or jungle cock or both to the hackles. Then if you want glue the two sides together if the hackle ride on top of the hook. I do all of my bodies and stop and whip finish without the hackle. I then take a completed body and add a wing either on module to each side or all at once.

Good tip. I have done that before.

Kevin

Well bassbuster, it's a good thing your phone crapped out since eastern fly doesn't want pics as we go along. I also have been concentrating on them since I finally got the damn crabs done for L'il Dave. Hope I never see a crab again and when the guys in the swap see mine they'll probably say they don't want to see one from me again.sad.png

So anyway, I've been trying my best to get some presentable classics for this swap and I think I'm just getting too old for new tricks. Maybe I should stick to crappie (or is it crappy) flies from now on. Somehow it is just impossible to get 8 feathers, on hunk of deer hair, 4 jungle cock eyes and 3 different bobbin threads to come together and look like the one I was trying to emulate. I'm using a #4 7x long streamer hook with old style eye and when you add all the things that go into a dozen of these things it's the highest cost per fly I've done in a swap with the possible exception of a dozen Hog Snares on a different board. Now I can see why the guys who can do these things so all feathers are in place get the premium for them and most people buying don't fish them either.

Just to let you know how much a glutton for punishment some people can be there is another board for classic flies that is doing a swap of flies tying named flies totally in hand. NO VISE. Those guys use a lot of wax and a lot of half hitches as they go along. I've seen women tie flies that way and it is an amazing sight.

Finally got around to mailing mine. Hope you like them.

I got two great sets of flies in today.Very well done.

Kevin