Fly Tying
flytire

have you ever had....

On average that happens to me about once every two seasons. Though season before last it happened twice, so I'm hoping, it wont for at least another few years.

Cheers,

C.

Almost a fare few times each year! First time it happened was last summer on the first good river i got to in Lapland, caught 10 grayling in 1.5hours, fell over with the last one but landed it! Had vision hip waders on, right leg full of water & knee swelled up! Was scared cos' trip had just started, but knee was 100% in a couple of days! I see other people fall over now & then! Atleast someone once a year! We all have our turn, lets just hope it's never in big fast water!!!

My worst experience of that kind was on the Una River in Bosnia 30 years ago. I was wading out in fast current just over my knees on a curved reef type structure to reach some rising BIG rainbows against the deeper, far bank. I stepped onto what looked like solid ground but in fact was a near solid mass of small pebbles in a suspension eddy.

I was swept downstream standing but with no solid purchase and finally tipped over and went under. I don't know how long my submarine act lasted but I finally washed up on solid ground a good distance from my starting point. I don't know whether I was more scared or cold. My local fishing partners dragged me out and made me run wet waders and all for a long time to get my body temp back up. They are probably still calling that spot the "Dumb American's Landing".

I hung onto my rod and my hat and my glasses on a lanyard but my rain coat stuffed in the back of my vest were gone. That is about as close as I have come to 'buying the farm".

Rocco

2094af1ba2577c4387ce2f058c21649a.jpg

I don't know what you guys are seeing. What I see is ...

"I've cast everything in my box at the f%(%&ng fish !!! I'll get it if it's the last thing I do !!!"

And yes ... I've had THAT kind of day.

The older i get, the more i start to think about a wadding staff! Sometimes when i cross to the small island i wonder what the hell am i doing when i've gone so fare it's easier to keep going! Not a big fan on huge fast water! Lucky the company i work for took out full insurance for free time for us last year, even when outland! I told a work friend my free time activities are sometimes so dangerous it might be me that blows their premiums into the sky!?!

Unfortunately, yes. First time was steelhead fishing in january in Michigan. Waded out a bit too far and stepped off a ledge. That water is really cold that time of year!

I haven't wade-fished for decades, but once while taking water quality samples from a Florida spring on a 90 degree day, I was stepping from rock to rock. The next rock looked like it was only knee deep... in reality it was about 3 feet deep. When I hit that 40 degree water I nearly blacked out!

Have some of those days?

Oh hell yeah.

Especially on those rivers planted with bowling ball for rocks.

Flood belt, wading staff, eye glasses lanyard, zipped up vest pockets are a must.

Wish we still posessed tails.

Many many times....

Just yesterday I slipped down the side of a hill while making my way down to the river and then I broke off an ice ledge in the Connecticut River and thankfully it was only over about two inches of water but when I stepped off I lost my footing and almost took a nose dive.

One of the last times I went fishing last year I was wading really deep in the Connecticut. The path I took to a large boulder I stood on and fished from was just three inches below the top of my waders. When I stepped off the boulder I stepped off the wrong side and the water was way over my head. I was immediately swept down stream by the current and my waders took on water. Thankfully I was able to regain my footing because I was in real danger of being swept into swift water I never would have been able to swim in with waders and subsequently dragged into a eddy I couldn't possibly have escaped.

Stay the hell away from those big submerged rocks! That's what usually gets me tripped up.

I want to know what flytire is doing following me around with a drone?

I have had "that" kind of day on at least 40 different occasions. I've stopped counting, but I do know that I have fallen in during every month of the year. Not in the same year, but at least once in every month. I have ruined cameras, and cell phones, I have lost fly boxes, spools, and other gear, and I have broken only one rod during a fall, So far,I usually come up intact, limping, and battered on occasion, but able to get on with fishing. .

I guess I've been fortunate, but no I've not done that. At least not that badly! blink.png

I've stumbled & lost my balance numerous times, but never fell down like that. Worst that's happened to me was getting my arm wet. Being tall has some advantage I guess when it comes to not getting soaked.

Fell one winter when I was trapping & on a sand bottom. Lost my balance as I tried to cross the current while carrying a heavy pack with traps & fur in it & sat down in the river over my chest waders. That waters cold in February! sad.png

I've been pretty lucky. In 25 years of wade fly fishing I have only went down once and that was not all that bad. Stepped into some bottomless mud back in the late 90's that sank me up to my knee and I went down and filled my waders with some 45 degree water. Only time I have ever fell in the water though so that's not all that bad.