Fly Tying
Morrowboarder

Deadly fly for muddy waters

I can't remember the exact name of this fly; some type of marabou clouser. I went back up north to SW Wisconsin to trout fish grant county. This was right after all that hail and rain hit the area. Nearby streams had great clarity, but I had permission to fish a private stretch on Castle Rock Creek. The stream had 2-3 inch clarity. I cast this fly downstream in medium-fast waters and caught 15 Browns in 7 hours of fishing. I don't have a picture of the fly on my vise, but this was the image of it that I used for my tie. I tried the BWO hatch, nymphs and scuds with no luck. Give this one a shot sometime if you find yourself fishing stained waters, it might be the ticket for you as well.

post-55511-0-11903300-1429024370_thumb.jpg

post-55511-0-56651800-1429024423_thumb.jpg

post-55511-0-19770100-1429024496_thumb.jpg

I can't remember the exact name of this fly; some type of marabou clouser. I went back up north to SW Wisconsin to trout fish grant county. This was right after all that hail and rain hit the area. Nearby streams had great clarity, but I had permission to fish a private stretch on Castle Rock Creek. The stream had 2-3 inch clarity. I cast this fly downstream in medium-fast waters and caught 15 Browns in 7 hours of fishing. I don't have a picture of the fly on my vise, but this was the image of it that I used for my tie. I tried the BWO hatch, nymphs and scuds with no luck. Give this one a shot sometime if you find yourself fishing stained waters, it might be the ticket for you as well.

Castle Rock seems to always have a slight stain. Doc smith branch has produced for me in the past.

Castle Rock seems to always have a slight stain. Doc smith branch has produced for me in the past.

I can believe that. The first day after the storm it looked like chocolate milk so we went to Blue River and caught a few on pupae imitations. They have some big sucker fish in that stream as we landed two that were respectable size. The next day was focused on Castle Rock up between the two highway Q bridges on the dairy pasture. Saw a huge hatch but didn't see any top water action so after spending an hour drifting scuds with nymph trailers I decided to change it to the clouser.

That thing has the combinations of color clash that make me think it could be useful on the north shore steelhead rivers also. When we drifted yarn flies we always used clashing colors, particularly in high water.

smile.pngI wouldn't call it "some kind of clouser" but it looks like a carp fly. Apparently it is deadly on browns too.wink.png

Morrowboarder, a lot of our north shore Lake Superior streams I fished were full of small eddies and pools. In Michigan we dead drifted most of our flies but in MN it was a lot of short drop in and swirl around and if there was a fish holding he'd usually cooperate. Yes, we did dead drift in the places with a true run but for the most part those were short and quick. Big difference from the Lake Superior rocky streams and Michigan streams we fished.