Fly Tying
userx

Totally random q.

So at the opener thats approaching. The guys who typically fly fish will don spinning rods and mepps spinners. For the sake of water temps. Would you say that the fly equivalent of said spinners is a wooly, or some other baitfish pattern?

That depends on the Mepps Spinner. Back when I was buying them, there were a variety. Some actually had a soft minnow body. Some had deer hair tails affixed to the treble hook and a tubular body (i.e., like a wooly booger). Just between vous et moi, I never had any luck with any of them. I had more success with Rooster Tail Spinners and beetle spin baits.

A black or dark purple woolly with some holographic mylar tinsel lashed down the side of the body as a lateral line with the ends extending into the tail, and fitted with a small gold propeller blade ahead of the thread head, is a good cold/dirty water fly. Cast it down and across, then alternate between "surging" it against the current (using the rod tip, not stripping) to spin the prop, and letting it dead-drift downstream, sinking as it goes, for a few feet. Surge and drop back, surge and drop back. I've picked up some dandy early spring browns doing that.

Bryon... I'm assuming you put your "propeller" on the hook? i.e., inline? I ultralight fish a lot, and I have stopped using inline spinner baits because they cause the line/leader to twist, causing reel snarls. Someone recently on here posted a beetle-spin-ish fly with off-line spinner that would lessen the twist problem.

Have you had problems with line/leader twist with your fly?

Opener where? Just because the hardware crowd is throwing spinners does not mean you have to use the equivalent. There have been plenty of openers in my area where nymphs out-fished spinners by significant margin. In fact, you should be able to keep up with the hardware crowd unless the fish are too far away to reach. Distance is really the only advantage the spinner has, I my opinion. YMMV.

To me, a lure with flash is to imitate a baitfish. That's just me. I've also seen clousers (not coyote) and thunder creek minnows tie with this prop on the front. A wooly spin is a great fly. Basically a wooly bugger with a small prop type spinner blade on the front. I'll get a pic. and post. Awesome for many species of fish. I've caught some big Rainbow/Steelhead hybrids in Colorado on this type of fly. Black body, olive tail with crystal flash. Note I did not take this pic. It was googled.

post-19822-0-57908400-1429123472_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-90313700-1429127576_thumb.png

You can also rig any streamer type fly like this too. I've made my own that were shorter and had fewer beads to be lighter and less bulky. Netcraft has all the materials to make them. Note, I did not take this pic. It was googled.

post-19822-0-67554200-1429123702_thumb.jpg

Just a counter-question. Do the "guys who typically fly fish will don spinning rods and mepps spinners" do so because of the shoulder to shoulder conditions of some openers?

In that case, I'd suggest going with the same gear. Fly fishing in a "chorus line" is a sure way to hook someone, tangle with someone or get in a fight with someone. While the last option would be fun, the first two are just frustrating.

Just a counter-question. Do the "guys who typically fly fish will don spinning rods and mepps spinners" do so because of the shoulder to shoulder conditions of some openers?

In that case, I'd suggest going with the same gear. Fly fishing in a "chorus line" is a sure way to hook someone, tangle with someone or get in a fight with someone. While the last option would be fun, the first two are just frustrating.

Amen!! Yes. I do NOT like to fish shoulder to shoulder. Done it, Hate it. I'de rather walk three miles to a remote stream or river and be alone. The out-let at Taylor reservoir in Colorado can be that way, but fly only. Catch and release too. I took one look at all the people and walked away. Didn't even fish it. They have a word for that spot, The bowl, something like that. Can't remember.

SilkHDH, you just as well could have googled my vice. I use them often in dirty water. I've sent them in as my contribution on a couple of fly swaps and hope the guys don't find them too "lurey" to fish. Went to the Driftless area in WI once with a couple of buddies and water was high and muddy. Countered with the Sneaky Pete Booger like you have in pic and browns seemed to find it okay. Guys with me caught some rainbows on crawlers but I only got browns on the spinfly for some reason. I was happy to catch anything in those conditions tho.

Silk I agree with you a lot. I skipped out on the hog trough myself. If you fish lower on taylor you will catch really nice fish no crowds.

I don't fish shoulder to shoulder. I usually will walk quite a ways. I just always hear the other guys talk about throwing the mepps. I personally have no desire to but that doesn't mean I won't be fishing in regions where people are chucking hardware. Just curious as I've always wondered why they don't just throw some woolies.

[snip]... I've caught some big Rainbow/Steelhead hybrids in...[snip]

I'm under the impression that steelheads are just larger, stronger, anadromous rainbow trout... How can you have a rainbow X rainbow hybrid?! Please tell me if I'm wrong....

I've never fished any pistol Pete's. Or any flies with gear on them. One thing I like is big articulated streamers with rattles, or to tie baitfish on bass worm hooks, or bendbacks style, with multiple beads to rattle. Or tied in the FlyFishFood belly scratcher minnow style. Hook up. Wire/mono loop with beads in it to keel it and make it ride hook up.

So at the opener thats approaching. The guys who typically fly fish will don spinning rods and mepps spinners. For the sake of water temps. Would you say that the fly equivalent of said spinners is a wooly, or some other baitfish pattern?

I don't think you need abandon the fly rod for the sake of water temperature. I saw nymphs mentioned in one post and that would be my answer in cold water, get 'em down and fish 'em slow. If you compound the problem with high 'muddy' water it gets tougher. Again, the fish will be holding on the bottom and trying to find pockets or breaks where they don't have to fight the flow. Again, get it down. A bugger is always a good streamer option. I've also had some good success with a gizzly minnow pattern I've been tying with a UV grey dub for the body when the bugger didn't seem to be getting it done.

Last, as far as combat fishing on opening day. Good luck with that. I find no joy in fishing those conditions or that way. Guys who typically fly fish and don spinning rods? I don't know any.