Fly Tying
despatiesim

What size egg paterns do you fish for steelhead?

For a low summer river a tiny bead on a size 16 may be a really good idea. Rivers are bare bones just now so might try it next time I'm out.

i've just used whatever egg hooks i had on hand. tmc 105, Mustad C67s are good examples. (2X short)

Those hooks are fine and you will have no problem with them in the sizes you are tying. Not too big or too small......just right!!

I 'tied' some eggs using prefab booby eyes as the egg and a little lead wrap to remove some buoyancy so the hook sinks and wafts about in current. I'll post a pic later. Some I tied a veil of polar bear and some just plain. I can say for certain they wont spook a low water fish but whether they will catch one......

Here is one with the half a booby eye for the egg. These are highly buoyant and soft so hoping they have that chew factor.

post-42518-0-57168200-1429640867_thumb.jpg

And its upside down again. Any idea how to stop smart phones doing this?

No, not common at all. The Atlantic salmon doesn't feed in fresh water at all-allegedly- ,so patterns to tempt the feeding nature are overlooked generally in favour of aggression tempters. But how a size 16 black pennel annoys a 20lb fish is beyond me. I'm hoping these will tempt some seatrout (sea run browns) and brown trout from the egg point and just the bright colour and movement tempt the salmon. They come in pink, yellow, black and white too so if they work the options are there for more.

I have caught steelhead in the great lakes and northwest on eggs patterns as small as 18. When the fish are actively spawning they will key in on the smaller size of the freshly laid eggs. Later on it does not seem to matter. I always have with me sizes 8 through 18 just in case.

i'll never forget this one little shaker that i caught one time. it's mouth was so full of eggs they were falling out, lol.