Fly Tying
spm

I think I'll put down the bobbin for today

I thought I would replenish my supply of wooly buggers for my Wyoming/Colorado trip this summer. Like most tiers, I've tied woolly buggers for years, so I decided I didn't need to refer back to the recipe. Well, it was a disaster. The first fly off the vise was a mess; everything was wrong. While tearing it apart, and cursing myself for a fool, I bumped my trash box and everything went flying ...feathers, yarn, marabou, lead wire, thread. As I started cleaning that up, something got in my nose and I started sneezing. Couldn't stop for several minutes. Finally began to retie the fly, using the recipe this time, and immediately stabbed myself with the hook. Then I stabbed myself with my scissors. I think I'm finished for today.

steve

sometimes you gotta walk away, sometimes you gotta push through. Wisdom is knowing when to do what.....

Thanks for the laff - it happens to everyone sooner or later.

Always a good thing to quit when you're through ☺

At least you didn't mistake your bottle of WaterShed fly floatant for a bottle of Zap-A-Gap, aaarrrghhh.....

Look on the bright side. You could have been at work.

Steve

Good attitude.

So, does blood on the fly make the it illegal for fly-only water?

steve

That sort of thing usually only happens to me when I can't get away from the bench. Usually when I have to get an order finished by a deadline.

Cheers,

C.

Yep- when you're going in the wrong direction- take a break. So....woolly bugger fan. I've never had much luck fishing them yet others swear by them. What colors do you prefer? What hook sizes? How do you fish them? Cast upstream and drift, swing "down and across? Short line type nymphing?

Yep- when you're going in the wrong direction- take a break. So....woolly bugger fan. I've never had much luck fishing them yet others swear by them. What colors do you prefer? What hook sizes? How do you fish them? Cast upstream and drift, swing "down and across? Short line type nymphing?

Classic colors are olive body with black marabou tail and black hackle. I have reversed that, and have also tied them all olive or all black. I met a fellow on the stream once who was using a black body and hackle with a red marabou tail and doing it succesfully, so who knows? My small streams generally call for a size 12-14. I like to strip them across current or through a pocket.

Good luck

steve