Fly Tying
rockworm

Fifth Annual Evolution Swap

This is a little different from previous. if it is not suitable and you are looking for a smaller dry then let me know.

I"ll start it with:

wet blue fox

Hook: size 8 2xl lure

Thread: black

Tail: 2 peacock swords

Body: grey floss

Rib: #8 fine braid KM (blue metallic)

Underwing: golden pheasant crest

wing: blue fox tail

Collar : grizzly hackle

head: red thread

Now that sounds like a mighty fancy fly! But, OK- evolution also works to streamline and simplify. Is there anyone who has the materials and inclination to improve upon Sharon's Wet Blue Fox? Remember- reasonable substitutes are acceptable.

Flytire

Your pattern is so dissimilar to Horseshoes' that I presume you are offering it as an alternative to hers to get us started? (It is clearly not a mutation of the Wet Blue Fox.) Both patterns look good, but Sharon did beat you to the punch. Let's see if someone wants to work with Sharon's fly before we consider alternatives.

i guess i got this all wrong. i'll drop out so that someone who understands this better can participate

sorry for messing up the evolutionary order of things :)

Well folks, I am completely and totally confused. I thought that the first person to chime in was the first person to get things started. Last year Horseshoes was first and then Henrik Thomsen(DK) then Fishingbobnelson then myself and so on and that was the order of how things got started and then evolved. I thought that was going to be the same this year. Flytire ask about the rules and to my understanding that is what was answered to him. I thought that after saying "I'm in" djtrout had 48 hours to come up with a recipe and then it continued down the line in the order that the person entered the swap. I don't understand why it was a random thing and whoever wanted to could jump in and start things off. I don't mean to be a jerk and it isn't anything bad at all towards Horseshoes but I just don't understand how things changed so much. Then again, after thinking about evolution there is always a chaos factor that isn't originally thought of and there is always that monkey wrench that gets thrown into the smooth running machine. Or, maybe I have worked way too hard today and am missing something somewhere...

Well maybe it was me that misunderstood?

Posted Today, 11:25 AM

Welcome professori and flytire. And yup- you got it right tire- evolution proceeds slowly by tiny steps. (Although I hope the swap will not be as slow as it was last year.)

Now, who wants to begin this year's Evolution swap? The initial fly establishes the basic character of the flies to follow and so should be original and relatively simple. Step right up and begin this year's bloodline.

But it is not my swap so I just try to follow the swap Meister. Did I get it wrong?

It says in my first post:

"I will take the first 11 members with an "I'm in." Your place in the evolutionary series will be determined by your place in the following list:"

Check it out and you will see there is only one name on the list- Horseshoes. Her name is there because she took up the gauntlet when I asked for a starter. It is true that in previous years I have listed all the swap members in the order of their joining. But this year everyone jumped in together, more or less. So I decided to give everyone a chance to start. I changed the routine, but I didn't change the rules! Horseshoes did not get it wrong and she can start with her Wet Blue Fox.

I'm more confused that before, I too thought the order was determined by the order in which we signed up. Then when Shoes jumped in, I started looking for a source for blue fox. I can't find anyone in the US that sells it. I did find dyed Blue Fox key chains however and Blue Fox lures. So now what?