Fly Tying
rockworm

Fifth Annual Evolution Swap

Mine will be in the mail by Thurs am. Looking at them I'm thinking "Her Majesty's Fox" might more aptly be called "Court Jester."

Mail from Denmark today! A baker's dozen of Sjo's Her Majesty's Top Secret Service, if I'm not mistaken. (Sjo- please PM your address.) The envelope was rather mangled and the plastic box was shattered. But the flies, etc were intact and a joy to behold! Good work, as always.

DJTrout's flies have arrived. I am still waiting for flies from riffleriversteelheadslayer, cencalfly and mybadhabit.

A brief update:

I have received flies from everyone except cencalfly and riffleriversteelheadslayer. A PM from cencal says he is retying his contribution. I will PM RRSHS to see what is happening there. Unfortunately, my family will be on vacation in August, so I will be unable to put the Evo sets together until early September. I hope the remaining two sets will be in my hands be then.

I don't know what's happened to this site. There seem to be lots more no shows, fewer of the long time members showing up for swaps. Swaps used to fill up in a day or two at the most. Now it seems to take longer and longer to get 12 to sign up and then you may only get 10 sets of flies. Due dates don't seem to mean anything either. I have really enjoyed this site, I have flies from all over the world. I have caught quite a few trout on some of these flies. I have even copied some of the best and tied them myself. I am glad to wait till September, but I wish I didn't have to. Thanks for hosting this for the last five years. Along with the Secret Santa swap it is one of my favorites.

One of the reasons that I was late is that my business has really taken off over the last year, and I guess I thought I'd have time like I used to and I just don't seem to be able to make the time for the things I used to. The other is that I got an empty envelope back a week or so after I mailed them and had to retie all the flies.

I really am torn about how things are going, I love the success, but I don't have the time to myself that I used to have. I haven't been on here nearly as often as I used to be, and I miss it, but I have to make some sacrifices and my business and family have to come first. I miss being an active member and into the swaps like it used to be, and maybe when I start up a second crew I will have some more time to do the things that I enjoy. Until then, I make it here when I can and try not to enter into swaps that I won't be able to finish.

Thank rockworm for hosting and for the heads up pm. I wouldn't miss this swap unless I just couldn't tie at all.

I wish you a very happy holliday, Rockworm. I'll see the flies when they get here, be it September or if need to be in octobre, I don't mind because they are worth waiting for. Since I'm also one off the guys that sends his flies in late I think it's not on me to comment on that, but I understand that it is annoying. Sorry for that. It is the reason why I don't appear in much swaps anymore. Sad but true.

So, enjoy your vacation!

Greetings

Sjo

I too apologize for being late. I've been a member here for some time and have been in numerous swaps and hosted several too. I don't come on the site nearly as much as i used to for some of the same reasons as mybadhabit. I don't have nearly the leisure time that I used too. Between battling certain health, familial, and an over abundance of work issues my time to log in and participate is nothing what it was.

There are certain swaps that I don't want to miss. This being one of them. I have been in all the other evo swaps and have the collection and desire to keep adding to them. As for joining in other swaps, I occasionally join because I think I might be able to tie something the other swappers may appreciate, or there is a swapper involved whom i have a great respect for and want to add their tie to my collection (selfish I know but it is what it is). Others because it is a swap for a good reason (casting for recovery,wounded warriors, and so on).

The fact for me though, regarding not being involved nearly as much as I used to, is that the emphasis on swaps seems to have changed. To me, and I may not be seeing it correctly, swaps used to have more discussion on the patterns, recipes, techniques, use of the fly; and, if you will, more of a "campfire" type camaraderie discussion about the swap, what was being tied, and general BS'ing. Now the emphasis seems to be not so much on any of that and all that goes with the art/hobby but on making a deadline. Sorry I have enough deadlines in my life already. Hence, here I am responding after 1:00 A.M. local because it is the only free time I have and the clock is my enemy. If I hit the sack now I'll get about 4 hours of rack time.

I tie to remember that there is more to life than deadlines. Having said that i guess I should refrain from joining anymore swaps until the deadline is not the most important part of the program. Please don't misunderstand me, honoring a commitment is without question one of thee most important things in life and is without a doubt the honorable way. I screwed up and there is no excuse offered herein. Just a personal perspective that may be flawed. You guys have always been the best. One of my greatest desires is to sit down and share a meal with some of the folks on this sight, and if lucky enough, sit around a campfire and discuss all of life's' happenings. Especially the fishing of that day and the fishing to come.

If anyone is put off or pissed at my comments please give me a break. It is now 1:27 here on the left coast, I need to sleep so I may perform for my employer, and I need to have a drink or take something to help me sleep becuase I'm so jacked up from intense and long days.

Jim

P.S. I would wait months for ties from RRSHS. I'm not going to fish these swap flies this season anyway. If there is a pattern tat screams "fish me" I'll tie up some replicants and fish those. I already have flies that are very effective on the waters I fish. For unknown waters I'll start off with what the locals use. Flies from RRSHS are worth the wait. Even if it is a long wait. The guy, like many on this site, knows his sh!t.