Fly Tying
GabPamgea

Hook, eye and emerger...

Ok guys.....my first tutorial video in other post was quite elaborated biggrin.png

So no i want to ask you an opinion about two (very) simple flies:

post-46211-0-12955200-1429196494_thumb.jpg

post-46211-0-43263800-1429198145_thumb.jpg

post-46211-0-73480700-1429199715_thumb.jpg

any suggest using this hook with vertical eye other pattern? Have you ever tried them?

smile.pngsmile.png

Very good looking flies. I'd use vertical eyes, if I could find them.

In Italy and Netherland this Gamakatsu hook is called C15-BV.....i hope you can find it in your country and show us your pattern on!

:) :)

Nice tie. That Gamakatsu hook is available in the US as well, Mikechell. A google search will turn up tons of vendors. While I might indulge myself with a vertical eye on jigs or streamers, not worth the effort for normal nymphs or dries in my mind, but YMMV.

The only experience I have had with them (hooks with a vertical eye) are Kenya dry Fly hooks. I must admit that I don't know what it is trying to achieve. If I did I might be able to say if it works or not.

Its a quandary, I wouldn't reject them because they are different, neither would I go to any trouble or expense to seek them out just because they are different. The difference has to have a purpose.

Though I tie plenty of jig hook nymphs I don't use them. it is not the eye position, it is that down turned shank. The most important thing in hooking a fish is to have a nice open gap in the hook. Turning down the shank closes off the gap. Also it is very easy to rig a standard hook to drift in the same attitude. Why loose the gap when you don't have to.

I'm familiar with both the patterns, and know they work well. Tied on those hooks they look good. That is down to the shape rather than the orientation of the eye.

Cheers,

C.

When fishing small streamers and wet flies ... and when using a tight knot, small adjustments to the line position will effect it. It can be made to dive deeper, to ride "level" or to rise up and skip across the surface.

I can do this with soft plastic baits (conventional gear) with no weight, too.

I suppose, Mike, that would work better with a Trilene Knot, (grips the eye tighter).

Cheers,

C.

I can't see that a vertical eye would close the gap any more than a down-turned eye. On very small curved-shanked hooks I, like most people, use a straight or up-turned eye hook (TMC #2488 or #206 vs. #2487, for example) and that opens the gap fractionally and I can see that a vertical eye on tiny hooks would keep that gap slightly more closed like a down-turned eye. But, as Crackaig said, if you use a tightly cinched knot you can orient the fly in any direction you want with any eye. Except on small flies, I can't see the advantage or disadvantage of the vertical eye.

Enlighten me, please.

Joe

Joe, I wasn't meaning the vertical eye closes the gap. It's the down turned shank on jig hooks that does. I mentioned them as they are the most commonly used kind of hook with a vertical eye.

Cheers,

c.