Fly Tying
retrocarp

Fishing In The Wind........Ouch !!

Did a bit of wading in our local pint sized lake the other day....it was windy, blowing in every direction.

That was okay my casts were reaching the desired length when............ a large gust of wind took control of my line and fly,

a clouser pattern on a size #6 mustad......Ouch !! The fly shot into the side of my face ...fortunately I was wearing sunnies.

I quickly looked around to see if anyone had noticed the extra eyebrow on my face, and sure enough some people had pulled up in a 4x4 just to look at the view......I laughed and promptly removed the offending item and got back to my fishing.

Maybe we should start wearing safety glasses for fishing. Or maybe welders' helmets.

retrocarp! Last year january Oberon dam my father dropped me off on his way to work! Ended up in the far reaches, seeing nothing all morning, was getting a bit pissed off! Huge double haul casting going on into the wind! Seen something to my left, changed to that direction! Never do that again, i thought someone shot me when that weighted woolybugger with a tungsten bead hit me in the lower left back! Was scared to feel it for a bit incase it was bad, blood! Also was out yesturday in my float tube, tied some huge 25cm+ pike flies this winter with a clear rubber disk at the head, 2cm disk was meant to act like a marc petitjean thingy? Found them in the hardware store, no good! How can a 2cm rubber disc be so unfreindly on the double haul cast with a 11wt? Had line around my head at one time & the fly on my shoulder! Don't know what the hell i had done, never ever happened before! Changed to same fly but alloy slime head instead & was casting like a champion!

Anybody without ANY scars in his ears isn't a REAL fly fisherman! Just a wimp impersonating one. REAL fly fishermen don't let little things like gale force winds and a little blood deter them! HAR! Been there and done that ... several times.

May the fish gods bury hooks past the barb in the ears of those unwilling to share secrets with their fellow flyfishers so deep they must wear the fly for an earring.

Adam, was reading a book on the science of fly fishing and on an 40-50' cast the fly goes by your ear at 70mph. That's an average cast, not a doublehaul with a 10 weight rod. I've had beadheads thunk me in the back of the head a couple of times and seriously think the dents in my skull are still there.

I have no idea why the fish gods were angry with me. Maybe they wanted me to make a fashion statement.

post-309-0-80922700-1429485464_thumb.jpg

I got caught with a bead head cats whisker a while back in heavy winds. I messed up the cast, that and the wind snapping it back, felt like I got shot with a bb gun.

vicrider, no it was removed right after the picture was taken. Didn't feel it going in, didn't feel it coming out. He explained the trick to me. Apparently, when the hook goes in it leaves a channel but turns once its in. The trick is to maneuver the hook till it clicks back into the channel then you can remove the hook easily. This only works with a barbless hook. I had an example of that several years ago when I was in Guam on business. I have a 4 piece 8 wt that I always carried with me when I went there. I was out behind the hotel fishing a little cove when a co-worker came down to watch and talk with me. He was standing on a small jetty when he came down, but eventually worked his way behind me. I made a back cast and was just ready to make the forward cast when I heard STOP!!. I turned around and followed my line and he was standing on the beach with a Crease fly tied on a 2/0 hook hanging from the skin just above his upper lip. I walked over and could see a hole in his lip where the hook had gone through and the one where it was hanging. It came right out when I removed it. He has an interesting scar, and learned that it's not a good idea to stand behind someone casting a fly rod. We can laugh about it now, but I shudder every time I think what would have happen if I hadn't stopped my cast.