Fly Tying
Getagrip

San Juan Worm Chenille

I have tyed a few San Juan Worms up for me and my son usint Hareline Dubbin Velvet Chenille Fine San Juan Red. When they flies were tyed they looked great but when we both use them on the water after a few casts we noticed that the chenille looked like it was comming apart. It almost looks like the water was melting the material ( I know that is not it). Is there a standard chenille that should be used or is this just a bad batch of chenille.

post-53765-0-76182700-1429566401_thumb.jpg

Did you burn the ends after you tied the worms? The chenille will fray if you don't seal the ends with a lighter.

Yes burned both ends. Still got the mess in the picture. My son and myself used 4 flies each and they all looked the same after two times in the water.

Steve

This same problem has been happening to me lately as well. After fishing the fly for a bit i noticed that the chenille has frayed where it hinges at the hook. Rather frustrating. Im not sure if it just the chenille that i am using, or something else.

Use ultra chenile, works well wink.png

Agree. Ultra Chenille is the material to use. It doesn't unravel. Of course, you still melt the ends to get the correct look.

+4 on ultra-chenille. I'm not familiar with Hareline's velvet chenille, but it apears to have a thread core. You need something with a nylon core that's meltable.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion to use ultra chenille. Will have to make a stop by the fly shop and replace the chenille I have been using. At least there is a silver lining in all of this as now I will have to work on doing up a new batch of San Juan Worms that will not come apart.

Thanks All

Steve

Holy molly, I didn’t realize this post is that frikin old ! So either ultra does the same thing, or it now does. Because I just tied some this morning and they did it. 

I believe its some batches. Possibly the dye. I've a pack of a purple shade that's just all in the bin. Never had red or black do it. 

Had some in grey that was hit and miss 

On 4/20/2015 at 4:47 PM, Getagrip said:

I have tyed a few San Juan Worms up for me and my son usint Hareline Dubbin Velvet Chenille Fine San Juan Red. When they flies were tyed they looked great but when we both use them on the water after a few casts we noticed that the chenille looked like it was comming apart. It almost looks like the water was melting the material ( I know that is not it). Is there a standard chenille that should be used or is this just a bad batch of chenille.

post-53765-0-76182700-1429566401_thumb.jpg

I can't see the melted ends on your photo of the unravelled fly. It looks like the melted ends came apart and that is why they unravelled.

Can you confirm that the melted ends are still fused?

Red squirmy wormy, “inch-wormed” through short piece of mylar tubing to prevent thread from bisecting the squirmy body, now replaces chenille for me, unless tying a Classic.