Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
StoneFlyTyer

Rising fish what to use

Finally got out on some water today, I saw a lot of fish were rising but none were hitting on anything. Any one know some good patterns to use in lake Ontario tribs.

You don't mention what flies you tried, but when I see fish rising and they don't take the dries I'd expect I think emerger - fish one a bit under the surface or in the surface film rather than a dry that rides on top.

Agreed, probably emergers. Were the fish sipping from the top or did you see fish shoulders and backs out the water?

I'd normally try some dawl bachs or buzzers on as fine a tippet as I could, long leader as I can cast and let them just swing around in the tow on a floating line. Watch for the line pulling tight or stopping in the swing.

Also had some success with a biot body emerger off the back of a humpy or other buoyant dry.

A couple of weeks ago the trout here looked like they were taking flies off the surface but they were eating just below and their tails would break the surface and it appeared as a rise though.

In that situation though, can you be wrong with a dry/dropper? I'd think not.

Royal coachman and a PT or GRHE would be the first offering without knowing much else about that water. It's gets crazy. There were five of us out, and eggs, San Juan worms, PTs, zebra midges all produced well. It was about getting something in front of the trout, they didn't care what it was an as long as it was in their column.

I just saw Ontario...patridge and orange maybe? Wait for or expect strikes on the swing and the end of the drift.

This time of year I would expect to see hatches of E. subvaria (Hendrickson), Epeorus (Quill Gordon), and some of the Baetis species (BWO) in southern Ontario and Quebec, Northern Michigan and NY. And some of the small black (and brown) stoneflies, which begin mating when the snow is still on the water, may still be active.