Fly Tying
eide

Bøe's Caddis

Like the looks of this one. Different use of the hair wing. Is the foam necessary or could a hiviz wing post be used. I imagine the hair maintains buoyancy and the hackle helps too. Going to tie a few for my caddis box I think.

Like the looks of this one. Different use of the hair wing. Is the foam necessary or could a hiviz wing post be used. I imagine the hair maintains buoyancy and the hackle helps too. Going to tie a few for my caddis box I think.

Could just use a normal wingpost as well. I like the hairwing, haven't tried to use elk before, and certainly not thought about shaping it like this! Looking forward to get it in the water to see how it behaves

I really like the looks of that. Really like it. Let us know when you field test it. I'm a bit concerned about the durability of the wing. As much as I love synthetic fibers for durability, sparkle, etc., natural hair and feathers just speak to me. I see lots of potential. Diving caddis comes to mind, soft hackle, the list goes on...

Great tie and images as always.

I really need to get back onto a cold water stream, it's been years...

Tied a couple tonight with hiviz post in place of foam. Not as easy as I thought folding the hair over but very effective shape from below. I used size 14 for mine but I think a slight bunch of hair and you could easily drop another size or two. Look forward to trying them when the weather improves again.