Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutguy

Who prefers to fish bamboo?

Age and experience are also factors in appreciation of fine bamboo rods. That is, the older you are, the more likely you are to prefer bamboo over other materials despite the latters' indisputable qualities.

When I started in the 1950s, fiberglass rods were all the rage but were unlovable, thick walled, poorly designed, tools. Though modern glass rods are nearly as sleek as graphite with fine tapered walls that are strong and forgiving, glass rods then were clunky, loaded slowly, and dumped their energy erratically. Bamboo rods by master builders of the period by contrast were responsive, live things in the hand -- hence the ancient comparison "smooth as a school marm's leg". They gave delicate presentations even with the crummy lines then in vogue.

Fiberglas was cheaper and demanded little special care so fiberglass became the choice in the mass market whereas Tonkin cane from the PRC was embargoed and thus scarce and expensive. Almost anyone could assemble glass rods but maybe a few dozen master bamboo makers nation wide were in business and many were getting old and being squeezed out of the game. But still, the top fly fishermen -- Lee Wulf, Ted Williams, etc. -- mainly used cane rods in creating the modern lore of fly fishing.

The younger modern fly fishermen and rod makers who choose cane over the alternatives today have revived and kept alive the art form thank God. Here's hoping that this trend is sustainable over time. The economics are turning in bamboo's favor as many modern synthetic creations are out-pricing bamboo.

Rocco

Can't really say I prefer bamboo, as some older models I have are heavy in hand so don't get fished very often. But blanks made by current makers with new tapers, some hollow built, are lighter than older bamboo rods and sometimes with a faster action. One such blank was made for me by Dennis Stone, and I really enjoyed the assembly process. This 7'6" 4 weight is fun to fish, and proved capable of effective presentations. Some very nice trout cooperated on its first outing.

Jeff

I often see the stated advantage of fast graphite is they can throw a line farther. So? If you're fishing for bonefish, maybe that's an advantage, but I've never seen the need for a 60' cast on any river. In most cases, it's an advantage with no clear application. I fell for the fast graphite rod phase but now I'm over it and I believe it's declining on the rivers.

Fish what you will, but please don't assume your preference has any real advantages or the next man's. Certainlly don't instruct others in their ignorance in making a choice that is not yours. Frequently, such practices are compensation.

Gene no comment has been made to anyone having ignorance, or telling you that you should apologize for liking cane. Relax a bit man your getting defensive for no reason lol. Everyone likes different things, graphite is not better than cane, and cane is not better than graphite. People are just discussing a bit of how they differ that's all.

I use a cane rod when conditions dictate it is the better choice. Sometimes it is.

What I love to do most of all is work up a small stream looking for wild browns. These streams are often overgrown and involve casting in some very tight spaces. A short rod is essential. I have a 6' Bentley Brook, rated 3/4, built by Stephen Wooly (No. 52) that I use for this. It is a modern cane rod, that Charles Jardene described a "fast cane".

If I were to use a carbon rod in this situation I would need to over line it to make the short casts I need. It may need as much as two or three lines heavier. of course I could do this putting a 6 or 7 wt line on a 4 wt rod, this would load the rod for short casting.

But no matter how overgrown your stream there will be at least one or two places it opens out. You arrive at one of these spots, when, 20 yards away, a good fish rises. I defy you not to open your shoulders and try to cast to it. When you do you massively overload the poor rod. My cane rod will make both the long and the short casts, with the line it is rated for, without over stressing the rod.

Also, to use an antiquated phrase, "cane rods kill fish quicker". That doesn't mean literately kill the fish, but plays it out quicker. If you are fishing catch and release this is what you want. The quicker you can subdue a fish, and release it, the greater its chances of survival. For that reason alone cane must be considered superior.

As for casting distance, how far should a competent fly fisher be able to cast? Surely the best answer is "all the way to the fish". For some fishing situations cane rods have distinct, and useful, advantages. This is a question about fishing situations, not casting for competition or display. That said, I have seen Hywel Morgan cast a greenhart rod, bought from Woolworths in the 1950s, over 35 yards. The furrels were so loose he had to tape them together. When it comes to distance, it is surely more about the driver than the rod.

Cheers,

C.

Yep, my wife and I both fish bamboo almost all the time. I was using mostly the Loomis GLX at the time. I then had an opportunity to cast an EC Powell. I was hooked and had to have that rod. Talk about culture shock! smile.png My wife on the other hand came to bamboo by accident. I had picked up an Orvis 8’ 5 weight, (rated a 7), cheap. I was lawn casting it and didn’t like it at all. Nancy tried it, reeled the line in, broke the rod down and said “thank you”. That rod has been her favorite for years now. She is on the second half of sixty by the way and 115 pounds. So much for the extra weight. smile.png

As to the original question of “why”, there are just too many reasons. Aesthetics is certainly in the mix. but probably most important to me is the way they cast and how they feel when you have a fish on. I loaned an FE Thomas to a friend of mine to try out. Each time he caught a fish he said he felt every head shake. The actions are all over the place from a noodle to very fast. The choice is yours.

Good bamboo rods don’t have to be expensive. A Southbend 290 7-1/2’ 5/6 weight can be had for $250.00 to $300.00. It’s a great rod. As has been mentioned, Chris Carlin rods are a bargain. Orvis impregnated rods can be had fairly cheap and are usually a good deal.

My EC Powell. 8-1/2’ 5/6 weight, hollowbuilt. This started me down the slippery slope.

016-L.jpg

Payne 100, 7/1/2’ 4 weight. Without a doubt, the nicest casting rod I have ever tried.

DSC_0066-L.jpg

FE Thomas, 8’, 3’2 5 weight. This is my do it all rod and sees the most use. It’s pre 1937.

PA260004-L.jpg

Bill Taylor, 6’9” 3 weight. Great small stream rod.

Taylor%20Rod%20006-L.jpg

If you’re ever so inclined to try bamboo, my one piece of advice would be to try it before you buy it. Following that though it may seem obvious, try different lines with it. I have rods that cast well but when matched up with the right line, that’s where the magic happens. Just like graphite! As they say, different strokes...................there is no bad choice.

"A Southbend 290 7-1/2’ 5/6 weight can be had for $250.00 to $300.00. It’s a great rod."

That's the same price as 3 or 4 of the rods I use.

I did not buy my cane rods for investment, but to fish. Nonetheless, I paid 750 dollars a long time ago for an original Leonard 7 ft 3 piece four weight in a tuxedo rod case. Think I have lost money on the rod? How much can you get for your rods? I fish a lot of graphite also, so I go both ways, but from a purely money perspective, I'm way ahead on the bamboo.

Gene no comment has been made to anyone having ignorance, or telling you that you should apologize for liking cane. Relax a bit man your getting defensive for no reason lol. Everyone likes different things, graphite is not better than cane, and cane is not better than graphite. People are just discussing a bit of how they differ that's all.

In a narrow sense of the definition, you're right. However, when someone says bamboo rods are "heavy" (what does that mean0 and won't throw a line as far as graphite, (for most people) I have to question the reasons behind these statements. There seems to me to be something very wrong here that minimizes the myriad reasons for personal choice and seeks to establish their own standrds as the most valid. Perfomance is such a broad term it lacks meaning outside specific definitions. Compared to a race car, my truck lacks performance but it gets the job done very well indeed in a way a race car never could. Every car, or every rod, cannot be judged solely on its ability to do one thing well.

However, when someone says bamboo rods are "heavy" (what does that mean0 and won't throw a line as far as graphite, (for most people) I have to question the reasons behind these statements.

When I say a cane rod is "heavy" I'm saying that because in terms of comparison when you take a graphite blank and weigh it, then take a cane rod of the exact same size and weigh that, naturally the split cane blank is going to be much heavier than the graphite blank. Then you add metal ferules and it does carry more weight than the graphite tip over butt style fly rod blank. It's not that the cane rod is so heavy it's going to wear you out fishing it. But there is a noticeable added weight when using one and for some people that is not something they care for when there's a lighter material that can be used. There's no hidden meaning or forced opinion in what I say what so ever. I clearly stated that people choose what they choose for all sorts of reasons and one is not better than the other.

I've had quite a few cane rods over the years from Payne's to Leonard tapers, Wayne Cattanach and a few other tapers. They were nice and I enjoyed fishing them, but I simply choose to go back to graphite for my own personal rods because I feel the performance I get from a graphite blank suits my likes and style better. Doesn't mean I dislike cane at all or that everyone else has to use graphite just because I do.

Personally I think people should simply use whatever they like. Doesn't matter to me if someone uses graphite, glass, cane, or even the old hex blank metal rods. In my opinion the whole comparison thing of cane vs graphite, trout vs bass, this vs that needs to stop in this sport, there's just too much of that stuff. People just need to enjoy what they do and not worry about the other guy.

I did not buy my cane rods for investment, but to fish. Nonetheless, I paid 750 dollars a long time ago for an original Leonard 7 ft 3 piece four weight in a tuxedo rod case. Think I have lost money on the rod? How much can you get for your rods? I fish a lot of graphite also, so I go both ways, but from a purely money perspective, I'm way ahead on the bamboo.

McGnat- Is that a "pre fire" Leonard by chance? If so then you have a VERY high dollar piece right there.

BTW great looking seat & rattan grip on that 3wt Rolf. What wood is that, fiddleback maple?

it would be idiotic to argue the point of is bamboo better than glass or even carbon fiber. It's not about that for me. maybe I am nostalgic or even a bit foolhardy, but I think the way it feels in my hand connects me better to the water. i also own two newer rods and i seldom use them.

BTW great looking seat & rattan grip on that 3wt Rolf. What wood is that, fiddleback maple?

I'm not sure and I didn't ask Bill. I was thinking about you however as I went through some old photos. You might like this..........

021-L.jpg

022-L.jpg

Used to fish bamboo wet wading for smallies all the time. Not much difference from fiberglass fly rods other than a little heavier in hand, which could be evened out with a lighter fly reel. It started just like trying out another baseball bat just to see if it'll produce a better batting average. Anything to improve a catch to cast ratio back then really didn't factor in the new faster graphite of the 70's. There's far too many bamboo rods & project rods collecting dust over the past dozen years in the rod racks since there's not much use for them in saltwater fly fishing & just keep them for possible travel outings.