Fly Tying

I bought a cautery pen for about $14 because I wanted to be able to create sockets in my mouse flies and bass bugs. If you don't allow the pen to get fully heated, it works great! Just have to use it outdoors to get away from the smell. The first day I got it I used it in the bathroom and the Mrs. wasnt too pleased.

post-55511-0-44461700-1430178502_thumb.jpg

post-55511-0-31302000-1430178528_thumb.jpg

Cautery tools are definitely the way to go, especially if they have replaceable batteries. I think I've gotten used to the odor. Just open the window a crack to placate the spouse. Nice looking flies and the eyes really jazz them up.

If you are looking for one try to find the veterinary one that only uses a single battery. They don't get too hot. Take great care of the tip, replacement tips are almost as expensive as the whole thing. As for the smell... well I'm almost totally amnosic, so it doesn't matter!

George Bernard Shaw was sat on an omnibus. The lady in front of him leaned forward and said,

"Sir, you smell."

G.B.S. replied,

"No Ma'am, you smell, I stink!"

Cheers,

C.

I hate to be stupid here but just exactly are you using the cautery pen for? I see that you are saying for sockets...Sockets for the eyes?

Yes the idea is to burn a small depression into the deer hair where the eye goes. They are also used for heat kinking legs.

I use a nail in a wooden handle for the same job! Find a nail with a head the same size as your eye. Drive it into a wooden handle and heat it with a flame. Touch it where you want the eyes to go. Perfect every time.

Cheers,

C.

I hate to be stupid here but just exactly are you using the cautery pen for? I see that you are saying for sockets...Sockets for the eyes?

It works remarkably well for keeping eyes on deer hair bugs. Recessing the socket a bit protects the edges of the 3D eye where it is glued, making them much harder for a fish to rip off. I do the same on all of my hair bugs.

And as for the smell...the wife will get over it. ;)

I just assumed that the batteries were replaceable, I guess they're not with the one I bought. Lesson learned.

The ones made for the bass fishing crowd (used for jig repair) have replaceable batteries, and replaceable tips too, which is handy (looks like the Hareline one might have this feature now too). Considering that they just run on AA, I've heard of folks popping off the bottom, replacing the batteries, and fashioning some sort of plug to hold them in place (seems to me, duct tape would work). Have not tried it yet myself, but I have one that is non-replaceable as well, so I'm going to experiment once the juice runs out...

Yeah I noticed that the stock battery has a metal piece that is coated inside the battery casing. Looks like once you remove the metal piece or replace it, you can rig it to run on a new battery. I'll give it a shot when the time comes.

while we are on the subject - I've used goop and zap-a-gap-a-doo and other adhesives to glue eyes into sockets on hair and synthetics. It works but is cumbersome to manage. Don't use super glue liquid or gel. This stuff, recommended by Chris Helm, is the best I've found for many reasons. It is available at my local Wally Mart, it is clear, it sets up in a few minutes, no strong brain cell killing chemical odor and maybe the best feature, the slim nozzle means you can control the amount of adhesive and apply directly to the socket. No bodkin needed. It is used by jewelry crafters and called Beacon 527.

On the cautery tool, I put super batteries in mine for an instant hot red tip.

post-54877-0-44823000-1430248464_thumb.jpg

Johnny, I've used superglue gel ... and superglue "fix-all" with no problems. Why do you say, "don't use it"?

Mike - I'm trying to think where I saw not to use it. I think I know but would have to dig out and scan through a video to find the "expert" reference. From my perspective I don't think hair and superglue are a good mix. If the glue is too thin it runs through the hair like a sponge and doesn't necessarily stay where you want it. It can bond the hair to itself and that is not what I want. It dries hard which I equate to stiff and brittle. It can have a quick set up time and having a minute or so to line the eyes up is a plus. The gel will stay where you put it but still has the brittle characteristics.

On the other hand, If you like your super glue then you can keep your super glue. I use thin brushable and the squeeze bottle but for other tying applications.

YMMV

Mike - I'm trying to think where I saw not to use it. I think I know but would have to dig out and scan through a video to find the "expert" reference. From my perspective I don't think hair and superglue are a good mix. If the glue is too thin it runs through the hair like a sponge and doesn't necessarily stay where you want it. It can bond the hair to itself and that is not what I want. It dries hard which I equate to stiff and brittle. It can have a quick set up time and having a minute or so to line the eyes up is a plus. The gel will stay where you put it but still has the brittle characteristics.

On the other hand, If you like your super glue then you can keep your super glue. I use thin brushable and the squeeze bottle but for other tying applications.

YMMV

Loctite Control Gel CA Superglue is all I use in the sockets on my hair bugs. I've had no issues with it...unless you get it on your finger as you press the eye into the socket. That's when I say bad words. :)