Fly Tying
Blackwater Virgil

Bead chain eyes

You know, I was given a huge amount of 3/16" bead nickeled bead chain many years ago - it'd have filled a quart Mason jar - and I've just about used up the last of that. With the price of little 12-18" sections of bead chain being what they are, is it possible that some of you might want to split a whole roll of it? I'm not sure what it's up to, but I can check with a local Ace Hardware. Those folks are my favorite hardware store. They can get just about anything you want, and I'm sure they can get the right size bead chain. The 3/16" size is what I use for shad flies, and any bass or salt water patterns I've tied. SW fish always tend to bite best when the tide's running, and though I haven't done much of that, I plan to this summer, and get my feet (and maybe other body parts?) wet. They seem to have the right weight to make good crayfish flies, and the shrimp flies I've tied look pretty good. I've thought that just the right weight keeps a falling fly poised at the right angle so it looks "natural," and keeps it oriented like a real shrimp or crayfish is likely to hold itself as it falls through the water column. Presentation does matter pretty often.

Would anyone here want me to see what I can get a whole roll of it for, and split it? If it's not TOO high, I think I could swing it. Got a hospital bill two days ago, and that'll cramp my style a bit, but .... what the heck! It'd be for a good cause, right???

Who'd be in for a large order of 3/16" bead chain? The small sizes go further, so they're "cheaper" in the long run, and I can get small quantities of those, but I've become accustomed to having so much of it handy that I've used it at times when I may not have really needed to. I'm thinking a full roll would about fill a gallon jar, and I'd want another quart or so. Nothing like having plenty of them handy.

Who'd be interested in something like this???

Yes, they do, but it's really hard to find just the right size I want here. Just thought I'd make an offer if anyone might be seeing a similar situation. If I can find some more, I'll buy a BIG quantity. I don't ever want to be without them. I like the way they have just enough weight to give the flies I tie a little more action in the up and down plane, which fish often seem to bring at lest a bit better response from the fish. Little things always make a diffference, or at least often enough to keep me using them a good bit.

I only got one response from my offer, so I guess buying a whole spool isn't in the picture, but it was worth a try, at least. Thanks for considering it anyway.

I believe the size chain that Blackwater is talking about is what I know as plumber's chain. I also found it in an old time hardware store when I was out of state a few months ago. It is not readily available. I have checked with at least 3 different plumbing supply houses and they just looked at me like I had 2 heads. My only mistake was only getting about 3 yards when I found it. When I get back up there I am going to try to buy the remainder of the spool that they had.

surprisingly enough, bead chain was cheaper at my b&m fly shop than Canadian Tire. Len's Mills will be the next place to check.

Good info. Thanks, guys. I want the 3/16" dia. stuff because it turns over larger hooks better so the hook rides up - a good trait in the snaggy waters I often fish. Just barely enough wt. to turn over my #1 Eagle Claw 455's I like on my shad flies, too, and there, getting the hook to ride up is a significant factor in whether they're hooked well, or in the soft outer portions of their mouths, and thus tear out and let the fish go free. It's too much work to get there and hook one, only to lose it, and needless when the hook rides upward. This is a trait of all metallic eyes that helps significantly in other applications as well, in avoiding snags.

Next time I'm over in Metter, where the most closely local Ace Hardware store it located, I'll ask them about getting a spool, and how much it'd be, and try to post back here. It always helps before pulling the trigger to know just what the tariff is, I know.

I use most any size bead chain I can get, and in colors, too, but that 3/16" size is my go-to size. Bigger flies take more wt. to sink properly, and it'll be interesting to see how they do in the salt this summer. I may well need to go to brass or lead eyes since the fish seem to usually bite best when the tide is moving in the tidal rivers and creeks. The moving water and higher density of salt water makes getting a fly down to the fish harder there sometimes, and they can't bite it if you don't get it down to them.

And BTW, one of my favorite sub-surface flies for big bass is the marabou muddler, and adding bead chain eyes to them gives the head more up and down movement, which sometimes proves a bit more tempting than flies without the BC, plus it'll get down deeper in a current, too, which often helps. Nothing beats fishing where the fish are, right?

Hey Black.....A couple of things. On the ML a couple of years ago I had a lot of success on tan craft fur shrimp on a 2 hook with just the medium bead chain and they seemed to get down fast enough once the fly was water soaked. I did not try the large beads at the time. The place that I was fishing had a lot of current at times depending I suppose on tide times. I thought it was odd since the locals said the ML was not affected by the tides. I did not find that to be true.

On your muddlers do you locate the bead chain close to the eye or further back?

When I use them on the Muddlers, I just try to tie them in about center. The extra weight gives them more action in a river setting where there's a good current. Also gets them a little deeper a little quicker. I always cast as far upstream as I think it'll take to get the bug down to where the fish are or at least can see it, and then strip it a couple of times, or occasionally use the rod tip, depending on my intuition at the time.

That's a great site. Very clear and well presented. I like the aluminium balls as they will sink slower than brass or SS and offer another option. At $1 per foot they seem good value. How much does 100ft weigh and would it get through airport checks? I imagine on an xray it looks dubious.

... and would it get through airport checks? I imagine on an xray it looks dubious.

Just have it sent as a "chain letter" ... and it'll get through. My mail box used to be full of those.

That site does look nice. Bookmarked.

Piker, you should try traveling with a chain mail shirt sometime. That's a real hoot and a lengthy explanation to big men that have no sense of humour.