Fly Tying
CSB1

Fly Line to Leader

Its been a few years since I've been Fly Fishing and I can see things have changed. I picked up a new AirFlo Velocity WF6F which I plan on using fishing for Crappies and Bluegills. With my setup in the past I simply inset an Eyelet in the end of the line and attach the leader to it. Well its next to impossible to get the eyelet in the end of the fly Line. I see some of the new more expensive lines have a loop on the end where the leaded attaches. What options do I have for attaching the leader to the line?

Thanks, CSB

Look up line to leader connections on this forum, using the search option... So many threads on this already...

This is how I attached my leader. But I only use a length of mono all the way to the fly. I don't use tapered lines or tippets.

i use a nailess nail knot. never had an issue. The first leader I tie on to a new line I just cut the butt and make a loop in the now formed tag. That tag/loop stays with the line basically for the life of the line. in recent years I've looped the end of the line that I tie the nailess nail knot to which pinches down the loop and forms a bump that the leader/tag can not slide off of.. Not that i ever had a leader slide off a line anyway. Some people apply a drop of super glue to the knot but I never have.

GOOGLE "fly line to leader knots" and find the one that's easiest for you to tie

lots of different attachments to list here

I used to use a nail knot all the time because I thought the line would turn over better but actually the loop to loop turns over just as well. I really can't see using any other system as you can quickly change leaders stream side which is a big plus. You can make you own loops in any fly line. Bend over the end of the line and use fly tying silk and let about 12" of the silk hang down, snap your wrists so the bobbin goes rotating around the junction and whip finish- takes about a minute.

How well do they hold?????

A year ago I was after Chinook on NY's Salmon River. I landed 3 and lost 6. All 15-20 pound fish. At day's end I noticed my loop had sort of tore a little even though it had held up throughout the day, the last salmon I landed. In any event the loop can be considered stronger than the tippet so the tippet will break before the loop fails.

i have converted all my lines to 'loop to loop' just as Red Owl described. i put a bit of Aqua Seal on the thread to smooth out the transition.

Loop to Loop if I can....nail knot otherwise. I twist up my own furled leaders streamside nowadays so the loop to loop connection is more often than not the one I go with. If I need a loop in a new fly line I weld one. Most fly lines come with them already there though.

Krazy Glue know is a favorite, but it takes a bit to do. I only have two lines with a welded loop, which is OK, but my first choice (over the Krazy Glue) would be the nail knot.

So long as it goes through the snake guides, it's cool. Not that you need that feature very much.

I only use the nail knot on my dryfly lines & with the c&f needle&tube tool so the leader comes out of the middle of the end of the line & i need the conection to go through the guides cos' i only use guideline 12' trout leaders with 1 metre of tippet on rio dart lines & the rods i use most are a 7'6" #3 jet sintrix & 8' #4 zenith sintrix! Evefrything else for wetfly fishing i use loop to loop!

Artimus....I usually have a couple twisted up ahead of time but in the rare occasion that I forgot stuff in the car or at home I DO twist them up streamside. I keep a 250 yard pony spool of 4# Vanish (cheap tippet as well) and twist one up right there. Works out pretty well as it gives me a three foot or so section of 16#, a two to three foot section of 8# and then I tie another 3-5 foot section of 4# to the end loop for tippet. One leader has lasted me a year so far and it cost like 15 cents to make is all

cool. i like the minimalist approach of using just one spool of material to cover both the leader and tippet.