Fly Tying
August9999

Stick on eyes: Only catching fishermen?

Hey guys,

A lot of people I talk to that tie say that they never use stick on eyes, as they just fall off and the fish probably don't see them anyways as the fly moves past. That being said, I have had about an equal number of people say that stick on eyes can make all the difference when fishing for pickier fish. What do you guys think? Personally, I like stick on eyes. I think they add anglers appeal and they might just add to fish appeal as well.

For certain flys i do feel that may be important. Small trout streamers, i doubt they really help. But i do like to add them on things like big pike flys. Just my opinion but i feel that they do add to the fly. Another thing to catch the fishes attention and make them strike. Are the fish seeing them as eyes, in most castes i doubt it. But there big flashy convex shape reflects alot of light, enticing strikes. If i tye two of the exact same flys, but one has eyes, im more than likely going to tye that fly on.

As for them falling off. I never just rely on the adhesive that comes on the eye. I always glue mine on, making them much more durable.

That's an old argument that will never die ... until we get some real mind readers who can cross species lines.

Along with that debate, is the one about how predators actually attack their prey.

Eyes are believed to be a target, for those who also believe a predator goes for the head of the prey.

I am in the school of thought that predators prefer to attack from behind or below ... the prey's blind spots. If the predator does not see eyes, it can't be seen. If you've ever been ear a "mean" but skittish dog, you've seen the behavior I refer to. Turn your back, and the dog approaches. Face it, and it stops or draws away.

A cat knows when it's prey can see it, and freezes ... only to move again when it "thinks" it's not seen.

I think eyes might actually cause a fish to shy away from a hit ... but that it then will attack with ferocity when the eyes "turn away".

Just my opinion ... I don't think eyes are NECESSARY ... but I don't think they are a bad thing, either.

"Stick on eyes: only catching fishermen?" They certainly work...

Like Mike's example of the dog, tigers will not attack a prey that is facing them. In parts of India, where tigers have attacked people, masks have been given to people, to wear in the back of their heads. Some people have been killed when wearing these masks, but invariably they have taken the mask of the back of their head, and used it as a hat.

That is why I subscribe to the theory that eyes are what predators use to work out how to eat their prey. This, perhaps, also explains why they are of more effect on larger flies. Fish will attack quite large prey in relation to their body size. Large prey (relative to the size of the predator) must be swallowed head first, so that the predator doesn't choke on it. If the size, colour, movement and flash spark the interest of a predator, eyes may be the final key that brings on the take.

...They catch lots of fishermen.

Cheers,

C.

Re Tigers and eyes on the back of the head.....

Tigers best shot at a quick kill is the bite at the base of neck and torso. Just like a double lung rifle shot on big game. DRT.

The eyes in the back of the head, if they work at all, probably does so because the cat has either lost its target, is giving a pass to the poor human with a twisted neck, or rolling in the grass laughing.

Rocco

Large prey (relative to the size of the predator) must be swallowed head first, so that the predator doesn't choke on it.

Cheers,

C.

Videos I've watched ... even large prey is hit from the side, bottom or from the back, mostly because it's running away.

After the initial hit, which stuns or even kills the prey, it is them spit out and re-positioned for the "swallow" take.

Rarely, if ever, does a predator attack from the front, mostly because the prey will always turn and run.

The eyes in the back of the head, if they work at all, probably does so because the cat has either lost its target, is giving a pass to the poor human with a twisted neck, or rolling in the grass laughing.

Rocco

LOL The cat and the hyenas are still chuckling, I suppose ... while they pick their teeth with a rib bone.

A number of saltwater fish of the eatable size have false eyespots toward the rear end of their body. Ichthyologists believe that predators will judge which way the prey will flee (and attack in that direction), while the prey actually zips off the other direction. Of course this only works for a fish that is still, and not already swimming forward. Our streamers are already moving, so presumably the predator won't be fooled anyway. on the other hand, I've never seen a minnow that didn't have very visible eyes. Maybe if the minnow swims with his eyes closed, nobody will try to eat him?

Maybe if the minnow swims with his eyes closed, nobody will try to eat him?

Maybe that's where the term, "Blind Panic" comes from ?

I add eyes because I like the way they look. I've caught enough fish on flies without them to know they're not necessary, but much of what is added to flies or lures isn't either. However, much of the detail we add aids in enhancing confidence in using flies or lures, so that has a different value.

On large streamers with large size eyes added, the extra flash might enhance the attractiveness of the flies, but only if there's enough water clarity & available light to take advantage of the extra flash. In water with much less visibility, I doubt it makes much difference no matter how big the eyes might be.

Either way with small eyes on small flies it's more for our satisfaction than enhancing the fly. I doubt the predators even notice.

That's right Mike, think of it this way. The predator is looking at the lure saying to itself "I could eat that! I could eat that!" Then the eyes tell it how to eat it and turn it into. "I'm going to eat that!" In other words I think the eye could turn interest into a take.

Cheers,

C.

Maybe a different take on this is that a fly with eyes can give more confidence in the fly,

and that translates into a more focused retrieve. You know, that zen-gnarly-brainstem

mental place that keeps you in the groove and travels right down the fly line.

No scientific proof, but I always seem to catch more fish (or get more bites) when I have two eyes on the fly that even when one is knocked off. Had it happen too many times when after not getting any bites I finally noticed my fly was missing an eye. Swap with a new fly with two eyes, and it gets bit.

Like I said, no real science there, just my observation ....

AP

As an aside a friend of mine puts odd sized eyes on his pike flies to deliberately off set the balance and make the fly move erratically. Eve with stick on eyes when he varnishes over them they make a difference.

Cheers,

C.

I love stick on eye's . But they don't last because the glue they use is " Suck-A-Vue " as the French would say .

You have to coat them with non-yellowing epoxy or clear acrylic nail polish . About 4 coats it builds a nice hard head and eyes are there to stay until THEY DROP THE BIG ONE ! I personally believe that game fish key on the eyes of there victims . Just like shooting ""Aim Small miss small "". If your Deer hunting you don't aim at the animal. You aim for that single hair over the center mass of the vitals. So if your off a smige the critter won't know it. Why do so many fish have black dots near their tails. It has to be to confuse a predictor for a spit second . Is going shoot off to the right or left. I

Love those Eye Balls!