Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Redneckr3bel

Cheapest and most effective flies to tie

Yep! Cleaners live in dirty houses, mecanics cars are always broken, bricklayers live in timber houses, concretors have paver driveways, the list goes on! If you do something for a job, you might not want to know about it after hours?

As far as materials & flies, fact is nothing is cheap. It's all relative to how much you're willing to spend. As said, if you're tying dry flies, the hackle is expensive, but makes the fly much better compared to lesser quality hackle. You can certainly obtain many materials & even hooks at reasonable prices.

There are many good fly patterns that are simple to tie & catch fish. NONE will work all the time, but all will catch at some time. There's far more to "catching" than the fly pattern being used.

Since you say you've been tying for 5 years, you should have some idea of flies that have worked well for you with the fish species you're clients will be targeting. Go with what you know! None of these fish are smarter than you are! If they are, or you believe they are, you're defeated before you even start guiding!

I've never guided, but have been doing this a long time. I tie & use a lot of different flies, mainly because I enjoy trying different things & enjoy the tying. However, for bass & Stripers, I've used & had success with Lefty's Deceivers, Seaducers, Clouser Minnow's, Clouser Half & Half's, Gurglers & various poppers & rabbit strip flies more than anything else. Tie & choose whatever colors you like. It never hurts to try to imitate local forage, but sometimes even unnatural colors work well. Be prepared to adapt.

For panfish, what I'll choose to use primarily depends on the time of year & the specific panfish I'm targeting. We get runs of Yellow & White Perch in the spring, and Crappies move to the shallows for spawning & the Bluegills & other Sunfish species become active. Sometimes all of them can be caught in the same places. I'll usually start with something that will imitate small baitfish. Later in the season, after the spawn they spread out more & are caught in various places, from very shallow to much deeper. Then I'll go with flies more heavily weighted for deeper water & surface flies in the shallows. The patterns are not usually very important, and again I'll use different ones.

Generally you can't go wrong with basic poppers or sliders, or terrestrial imitations for surface patterns. For subsurface, pick a few baitfish patterns, leech patterns & nymphs & you'll have a lot of situations covered.

Get guys I'm on my way to become a pro fly fishing guide but I don't want to spend a lot of money on materials for flies I'm just gonna lose. What are flies that are super cheap In materials but deadly In the water? I'm fishing for bass, panfish, and striper

Try wobbler-flies: they consist on marabou tail, foam back, and plastic "blade". Very efficient for any predators.

post-34261-0-80261400-1432019587_thumb.jpg

The guides I know tie some flies but mostly buy them. No time for tying, One guides and with the help of his wife runs a family/sports camp. He has a second boat and a paid young knowledgable guide runs the second boat. The other owns a fly shop and guides a boat most of the time. His wife helps in the shop, plus they have paid employees in the shop. He has two other paid guides with complete boat and gear etc. All are registered guides in the state of Maine. In Maine you don't just decide to go guide, there are classes and licensing . In the end you get a professional guides shirt that matches every other guides shirt, a certifaction certificate, license. You need to know about recovery in case you get someone overboard or swamp the boat somehow etc..., All part of certification. A lot going on besides fly materials.

Fly Fishing Russia

Try wobbler-flies: they consist on marabou tail, foam back, and plastic "blade". Very efficient for any predators.

Do these swim on top of the water?

Where do you get the plastic lip?