Fly Tying
m_grieb

Ausable Riverboat Plans

Hi everyone,

would anyone happen to know anyone with plans for an ausable riverboat? or maybe you have them yourself and would be willing to share?

Thank you,

Matt

Probably going to be hard to find actual plans for an Au Sable riverboat. Most the builders of them are located right here in Michigan in the Grayling area and most of them are older longtime boat builders whom most likely have been doing it for years and may not be quick to share their plans with anyone. Best bet IMO would be to call Gates lodge and see if they could get you in touch with a builder that may be willing to give some info.

Try the Au Sable Riverboat Association on Facebook. Maybe they have some info you could use.

post-624-0-57975300-1432171470_thumb.jpgmichiganmarinetimemuseum.org

contact them to see if you can get a copy of the boat.

Man Steve, you guys ride around in some ugly boats on such a beautiful river. That thing start as a hollowed out log?

They are really beautiful when you see them in person. The craftsmanship is second to none and they have a very long rich history here. They draft about 2" of water and can literally sneak up on fish like no other boat can do.

They are beautifully made boats when you see them up close. I've never seen one anywhere but on the Au Sable. I have always thought they didn't look very comfortable to fish from, because you can't stand to fish and you can't get up and move around once you're afloat. However, I've never fished from one so I could be totally wrong about that. I know I wouldn't want to try to steer such a long boat through the tight turns, sweepers and logjams on the Au Sable using nothing but a push pole like the guides do--I'm always amazed at how gracefully they move downriver.

Hello I'm from Michigan and I'm building an Au Sable long boat doing trim in next few weeks then fiberglassing  it I found a guy years ago that had 16 steps to build one I used those plus I got a roll of newspaper paper and I made a pattern then I got mahogany  plywood 1/4 inch and I'm finally going to finish it by August

How different are they from the Candian freighter canoes, other than they flat bottomed and hard chined. Looks like pole/paddle is the common propulsion? 

Rod, funny I should see you here and I have been wondering about that boat. I worked at our local Ace hardware for quite awhile and you gave some fly tying materials. Do you fish up there anymore? I go once a week during the mid week, love it!  Saw you at the grocery store maybe last week, anyway always good to see hometown folks on here!

Mike.