Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
IndianaYakFish

First trout on a fly...

While on a quick Memorial Day weekend trip to our land in the eastern Upper Peninsula, my brother in law and I managed to spend all day Sunday on the local rivers. We fly fished while the women went to do touristy stuff and shop, so it worked out well. I'm totally new to fly fishing for trout, so when this little brookie took my brown wooly bugger, I was pretty pumped up about it. This was not only my first trout on the fly, but also my first fish of any kind on a fly I tied myself. Definitely have the fly tying fever now! I went on to catch three more little brookies on the same brown wooly bugger before we had to call it a day.

post-55614-0-17677400-1432702067_thumb.jpg

post-55614-0-04575400-1432702086_thumb.jpg

post-55614-0-33727300-1432702110_thumb.jpg

post-55614-0-53882800-1432702126_thumb.jpg

post-55614-0-15915500-1432702180_thumb.jpg

Nice and congrats ! If you fish there a lot it looks like you may need some Mayfly nymphs and dry patterns..

Well done. Its great to catch the first on your own fly.

Look forward to seeing more that you catch.

If that river is primarily brookies you're going to have pretty steady action. You're also going to find that from about 8" on up they start to develop shoulders and by 12" they are not the same fish you've caught so far. They are in there and you'll start looking for those hard to get to spots they hang in. Great fun and the excitement of catching on your own tie makes it even more so.

This is freaky...

I have the simms sling pack, redington waders, sage reel, you get the Approach rod too? Lol

Great job on your first fly fish my friend

flyguy613, the rod in that pic is my 20 year old St. Croix (can't remember the model) 5/6 weight. Bit of over kill for those little brookies, but it's the smallest weight fly rod I own right now. HOWEVER, my 8 weight also has a Sage reel, but I have the Accel rod. Love the Sage stuff and would love to replace the older St. Croix with a new Sage rod, plus ad a 3 weight to the lineup eventually. I'll be using the 8 weight to chase carp on the fly for the first time next week. Rookie chasing carp...this should be entertaining.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I can't wait to get back up north.

Dude! Forget about sage! What you really want & need is a hardy jet sintrix 7'6" & a hardy 2000cc reel with rio dart 3# & a 12' guideline trout tapered leader with a couple of feet of stroft 0.10 mono tippet! Great for catching small to medium size fish & wemon! :-)

congrats on your first fish! Welcome to the pursuit! My first trout was a little brookie about the same size and 9 years and thousands of trout later, I'm still at it with the same boyish wonder and determination! :)

Actually, for those little brookies, a cane pole would work. HA!

Tenkara paradise...tho I wouldn't own one...well, maybe if I had somewhere like that in our area.

wschmitt3! He's not there yet, but will be oneday! Dryfly trout fishing is the BEST club to be in! It's the only club that numbers are even better than sizes! I hope to join the next club oneday? Sizes in numbers!:-)