Fly Tying
flytire

I'm not as good as I once was ....

My recently deceased father, during his last 10 years was fond of saying "If I ever catch the SOB who calls these the golden years I'm going to stick my foot up his ass". Of course he played golf three times a week till he was 85 and when he was 80 my mother caught him on the roof of the their two story house working on the weather vane. I know one of my fishing buddies and I used to have no trouble fishing from dawn to dusk. Now we have no problem losing an hour from each end of the day, especially when we are steelheading in the late fall. While I am not in near as good shape as I was 25 years ago, I will still walk farther than a lot of younger guys to get to less crowded water.

Steve

I agree with what the other Mike said about " the golden years ".

I am 69 and my wife is 74. A day of fishing just wears us down and the next day is spent doing nothing.

But we love fishing and weather permitting, we hook up the 1968 refurbished tin boat and head to Lake Wiley with the fly rods at least once a week.

Mike

I think I'm just as good now as i was 50 years ago but then I can't remember.....

Rocco

Steve! As much as i wish i didn't have to do it, i'll still walk to the farthest pool so the young men can flog the water near the carpark & catch nothing!:-)

I figure if I'm alive to complain then I've got little to complain about.

Naw ... the older you get, the more experience backing your complaints. Complaining becomes much more fun when you can prove your point.

complaining becomes a ritual.....

having trigger finger in my casting hand, i have to physically open my fingers to let go of the grip.....

degenerating disc in the back does not allow you stay in one place for very long.....

2 lasix pills a day does keep the fluids away from my heart but its quite annoying to awake 3-4 times at night to pee.....

i nap when and as often as i can.....

retirement from work is less than a month away. cant wait for more ailments and chores..... sad.png

i'm fu%&ed!

those young guy's in there 20's that decide to take a year off work,

what does that even mean? a year off work.. yeah right, what would all the people on welfare do if I wasn't working for them?

those young guy's in there 20's that decide to take a year off work,

what does that even mean? a year off work.. yeah right, what would all the people on welfare do if I wasn't working for them?

Something that kids with wealthy parents could indulge in. I remember reading an article by the late Earnest Schwiebert about missing part of a semester because he was fishing somewhere. Don't know about you guys but I would not even have thought about trying to pull that kind of self indulgent crap with my folks.

My grandfather use to say getting old is not for sissies. My other grandfather said the fastest 10 years of his life was between 70 - 80.

Had a bad accident when I was 18 so I have mid-low back pain after standing for over an hour, that's why I primarlily kayak when I fish; I'm 29. However, the last few times I went wading in a muddy river, 700 cfs, 3-4 ft depth, I was able to fish for over 4 hours without too much trouble. Good thing I sit in an office 50 hours a week and not doing back breaking labor like I did in my younger years; otherwise I would be in worse shape than I am now.

I'm 43 so not old by any means, but also at the age where I can say "not as young as I use to be". But for me now since I quite smoking years ago, lost a ton of weight and been gettin' back in shape, I actually do much better in the outdoors these days in my 40's than I ever did in my 30's because I was a wreck health wise back then. Pretty much the only issue I have at times these days is that I have a muscle in my back that messes with me every once in awhile and starts hurting bad after wading at times. Only happens every once in awhile though thankfully.

It's a bit of a common trend on this side of the world & some people decide to do it when there is not much work, take a unpaid leave from work! Go to Australia, NZ or south America, Salt water islands north of NZ! Live on a budget & eat 2minute noodles! Some do it & good luck to them, they are fly fishing! The rest that do it call them selves backpackers & are not fly fishing! Just being some kind of bum scared of work & thats when we have to pick up the bill!

We have a guy in our cycling club who is 90 and still riding a few thousand miles a year. It has only been the last 3-4 years that I have been able to consistently ride faster than the guy. He is obviously a mutant or alien. Some times you win the genetic lottery.

Steve