Fly Tying
flytire

I'm not as good as I once was ....

I never used to need time on stream to get my "sea legs" back after a fishing lay off.

I tie up a new invention of a fly, and I don't care if it makes any sense, and I will fish it for days until I catch one fish on it. 'don't really care if I don't either.

I can walk half a day on a stream before I start to think there may be a reason I'm carrying this rod ...

I can walk all day on a stream without a rod and call myself a fisherman for it (scouting, you know ...)

I love to spend all day driving around in new territory scouting new water that I may not get back to to fish ...

Dreaming about fishing is good. It's even enough, sometimes.

I fish 3 flies on the water. I tie flies for wall decorations. Saves on $$ for pictures.

I loathe staffs. First thing I did after 2 minutes in the water on a WV stream a month ago is look for a nice sturdy stick (wading staff in car, too lazy to walk back) that became my fast companion for 4 hours.

I've started fishing lakes. For my kindred die hard river rats, you know what I'm talkin' about.

my profile pic is 15 years old ... (fyi)

Turned 50 this year and I am still 16 feet tall and bullet proof!

Actually that's the peaty scotch speaking, I tore my rotator cuff this year and I am switching to switch rods and staying on the porch because I can't run with the big dogs anymore!

Old age comes at a bad time. I read all the posts on this topic and here I was thinking I was the only one with issues.

Hang in there guys, were all in this together.

Some times you win the genetic lottery.

Steve

sometimes OTHER PEOPLE win the genetic lottery...

I am still 16 feet tall and bullet proof!

I was too, until I turned 40, then I was only 10 feet tall and bulletproof. Now at 46 I'm 6'3" and not bulletproof. sad.png LOL

Turned 61 this month. I have not drank in almost twenty-five years and I never smoked.

I still fish alone hiking or kayaks if I can't find company. Do crazy stuff both in the woods and outside. I do interventions for a job. Last month I was paid to go to a trailer on a deadend dirt road in Western NC where people were using meth and convince a guy to go to treatment. It worked. My wife wasn't trilled but its not the craziest thing I've done.

Age is a number. I wished mine was still 35, but 61 is what I have to work with.

Sadly most of my age appropriate friends are not healthy enough to walk all day anymore. Most of my fishing and hunting companions are in their 20's, 30's and early 40's. I fish with the two Brittanys mostly.

Five years ago by accident they found a malignant kidney tumor. That was a life changing wake up call. The prognosis was iffy. I was lucky and had a great doc. Actually, I was luckier that God caused a radiology tech to bump a routine chest screen so it shot too low. I had no kidney symptoms.

Never put off doing something or going fishing with a friend because no one has a guarantee. Fish hard and have no regrets. When you get older, acting your age is never fun.