Fly Tying
flytire

brush cap modification

So you just got a bottle of your favorite fly tying adhesive such as one of the UV cured resins, brush on crazy glue, Sally Hansens finger nail polish or even head cement and you find the bristles are just to big to apply fine amounts in a tiny space? Just take out the brush from the bottle and wipe off the excess amount of liquid on the brush and with a pair of cheap/good scissors, trim off the bristles you don't need leaving the right amount of bristles for your application.

Be sure to wipe down you scissors after trimming the bristles.

Plain, simple and easy to do.

Before

trimmed%20brush%20before_zpsjmulme0x.jpg

After

trimmed%20brush%20after_zpsx8l6rntx.jpg

That is a good idea. Simple, cheap, and quick.

The end result is the same but I do it by rolling the brush along the edge of a craft knife. I've also been known to cut the tube down and insert a sewing machine needle in place of the brush.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks for these tips!

I've steepened the angle of my brush early on but see I could do better with these ideas. Great stuff! :)

I don't use a brush, I don't like a brush. In fact maybe 50% of my flies have no cement on them anyway. All head cement is is a catch the fisherman thing. So if I feel enticed I use it but really my morning coffee experience over rules the smell of head cement ( especially that Sally's stuff, that stinks half the house up and wrecks the far more important coffee experience)..

good for you

but coffee an drinking rituals has nothing to do with the simple tying tip i posted here :)

oh i like coffee too!

All head cement is is a catch the fisherman thing.

Strongly disagree with this statement. Some of my flies have been on through 5 or six trips, catching Sunfish and bass with little degradation. None of my flies with no head cement lasted as long. So, for durability, everything I tie has cement on it, in several steps of the fly tying process.

In fact, Head cement does NOTHING for the looks of my flies. For that, I might use nail polish or other paints.