Fly Tying
MeyerMG180

Best Fly Line for Redington Butterstick 3wt

Just purchased a Redington Butterstick and Taylor Reel Type 1 and don't know what fly line would work best. I've been looking into the Rio LT line series but many people aren't fans of the RIO brand and that in a way is holding me back from purchasing it. Any suggestion on what would work well for a slow action rod like the Butterstick?

Thanks Matt

Last time I bought fly lines, I got store line from BPS for about $9.00 a roll. Before that, I got some from E-bay for the same price.

All of it is working just fine.

I agree with the above, but you do need to do your research (search other threads) regarding whether to use level, WF, floating or sinking, etc. That does matter. The brand doesn't.

I have used Rio, Cortland, Orvis and Scientific Anglers lines over the years. Never a problem with any of them. My primary 5 wt line is a Rio LT double taper and it does the best thing a line can do; it is entirely unobtrusive, I never think about the line other than cleaning it occasionally. I have probably used it for four seasons and will use it for a few more. If you can, get to a shop and see if they will let you try some of their demo lines, if they have any. You need to match the rod, line and your casting ability/style.

Steve

Stevester, I would love to demo but no fly shops close to me in NEIA. I think I'll go with the Rio LT. Thanks for the input especially for my first post. I'll definitly be using this forum more often.

I have recently purchased 2 new 7wt fly lines. One is a $70 short front taper, heavy head line touted as a line to help push a heavy or bushy fly out against the wind. The other line is an $18 WalMart line WF nothing special line. I have been working to learn to make quick casts or 50' or more with just a few feet of fly line out of the rod tip and with only 1 back cast. I tied up a fairly bushy fly on a 1/0 hook and then cut the hook off to use as a practice fly. It took 3 or 4 short learning session in the back yard but I finally started getting the hang of it using the $70 line. I decided that I did not want to wear out the good line so I changed over to the $18 line. Surprisingly I found no discernible difference in my ability to make the same quick cast to the same distances that I had been doing with the $70 line. The rod I have been using is a very fast rod and by far the fastest rod I own. IMO just decide what style of line you need or want and look for the cheapist you can find. I appears to me that all these special tapers make very little difference to ones casting.