Fly Tying
JasonV

UV Resin Forming

What is clear that UV resin will not stick to? I tried a plastic bottle and Saran Wrap and neither worked. I am trying to form a concave shape on these popper heads.

*I cut the curved part of a pop bottle out in little circle to form it. I just need something to stop the resin from sticking to the plastic.

Purely speculating....

Something silicone, perhaps??? Silicone sheets? Silicone parchment? A piece of paper coated with cured silicone caulk?

Or how about the backing off an adhesive bandage? Probably a stupid suggestion, but it seems awfully slick.

Good luck

Just suggestions, since I don't have UV resin to experiment with.

Make the shape using thin rubber or silicone sheets. After the UV resin is cured and hard, stretch the sheet to make it release.

Or paint the shape ... the paint will then peel off and be permanently part of the UV resin

Or cover the shape with Vaseline to keep the resin from sticking.

I am trying to form a concave shape on these popper heads

umm what popper heads?

why do you need to make a concave shape? what am i missing?

Poppers I am doing for a swap. Most poppers I have used have not had a flat face. They usually are concave to "pop" the water when you strip it. I have seen people use glass in video's but that gives you a flat face. I have Plastic cut to form the shape. I am just wondering if anyone knows of something to stop the resin from sticking to the plastic. The catch is it has to be clear so the light can shine through to cure the resin. I am going to try some different clear tapes today and see if it will not stick to those.

Oops, I meant stacked Deer hair Poppers.

* I very well could be using these wrong. I always thought a concave face was a popper. A flat face was a slider. I do not know how I came to that conclusion lol, so I guess i need to do some research.

bass slider flies would be conical in shape

Pultz%20Poppers%20003.580.JPG

bass poppers would have a flat or concave face

booglepopper_solar_flare.jpg

Yes, I have a clear plastic form to shape the bottom shape. Now I just need something clear to stop the UV resin from sticking to the plastic when I set it.

Just coat the form with Vaseline. I don't think the plastic will prevent the UV from getting through ... But I see your problem. Maybe a layer of sandwich bag plastic between your form and the deer hair. Even if the resin sticks to it, the sandwich bag plastic should be light enough to not effect the action.

overthinking??

use a sequin!

18-loose_sequins-l.jpg

magic_head_fly_tying_tie_in.jpg

3241.Jpg

what you have in that foto above minus the disc will pop in the water when stripped

it may not hook anything with all of that hair closing the hook gape